BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been a tough year so far. Conditions have been windy and dirty water have made for tough shooting, finally have had some better conditions and fished some local spots with really only minimal success. Not many fish and fish on the small side so figured we would make a little drive and hit up one of our honey holes.

Pulled into the boat launch to find it packed. Found out their was a catfish tournament going on. From multiple boats running the river the banks were pretty cloudy. Managed a few carp and small cats, figured we would work our way up river zig zagging around the boats catfishing and bank anglers trying to give everyone their space without pissing them off. Most of the catfish guys have never seen a bowfishing boat but we didn't hear too many guys grumble jus a few flashlights pointed in our direction. Finally made it up river away from where the catfish boats could get and water cleared a bit. Chased some carp on some weedy flats. Kept fishing hard and managed to fill the barrel. Did a little exploring and the river was just high enough we could get up to a new area where I've never shot before and the carp we stacked. Good 15-20 lb fish pretty consistent. Made the comment that we were gonna find a giant sooner or later and a few minutes later I see a carp tail hanging out of a clump of weeds. Shot the clump of weeds and the fish exploded. She hit the surface and couldn't believe my eyes. Luckily my grapple made it all the way through the fish and she wasn't getting away. Few minutes of fighting her and managed to land my new personal best. Ended being just under 36lbs.

·
Super Moderator
2,372 Posts
Pig!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
That's a huge **tch!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Wow

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Like I said on FB,thats a mounter fish,I would have bet money(and lost,it was over 40).Awesome fish!I wish I had my 41 mounted
Guess that's a good thing about being a smaller guy, everything looks bigger when I'm holding it haha

·
Registered
807 Posts
What a hog!

Its actually really nice to see someone put a scale on the fish and post the actual weight. I don't think a lot of people realize how big a 35-40lb carp really is, or more so how big a carp really has to be to tip the scales at that kind of weight. I hear all the time about 35lb fish that have been shot and the pics tell a different story.

Here is a 36.9 mirror that won us some money this year. One year at a snake river tournament they had a big fish and a small fish category, someone managed to weigh a 52lb fish, somewhere there is a pic of that fish with the winning small fish in its mouth. I want to say the small fish was in the high two lb range.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts