Registered
673 Posts
rifle for turkeys??

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rifle for turkeys??
yeah, we were deer hunting and texas has a spring and winter turkey season. Winter season is the same as deer season. You can take them with arrow/shotgun/rifle. Winter is more of a luck of the draw if you see any because they wont come into calls (as far as I know) because they are not mating. They came into the wheat field I happened to be deer hunting. They were feeding and were lined up perfectly with eachother and I knew I had a kill shot on both (kinda hard not to with a 270) but you pretty much shoot right behind where their legs meet up with the body thats where their vitals are and you wont mess up meat. So I took the oppertunity to have some fried turkey and gravy that night.....I wish I had some more!

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Best shot I ever made I was only about 12 or 13 years old.It was on a doe the last evening of rifle season and I was using a 25-06 .She was so far away that I couldn't see her with the naked eye.Shot the gun dry and reloaded.Each shot I would aim a little higher.Finally shot her through the heart and dropped her on the 8th shot.The shot that got her I was aiming about 8 feet over her back so I figure she was somewhere in the neighborhood of 700 yards.

·
Registered
673 Posts
ky needs to let us kill em with a rifle

·
Registered
472 Posts
350 yards offhanded with a 30-06, in a treestand during a tornado, we didnt know was coming through, that stand was swaying BAD. It was only a spike and my second deer ever he droped like a brick.

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
21 yrds BLACK BEAR with a 06' Bowtech Allegiance and a 100gr Muzzy 3 blade bradhead!!

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
I did shoot a deer at 517yrds with my 300 weatherby mag 180grain trophy bonded bear claw bullet!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
One of my favorites was a bowfishing shot that one of my clients made. We had a client from Canada and had him in a school of gator gar that would AVERAGE 200lb! He missed literally 100s of shots at point blank rolling fish. Finally, late in the evening on the fifth day we were about to just give up. We were tied to a snag and sitting over 30ft of water when he pointed to the tip of a black tail fin just under the surface. Now gar fins arent black and i figued it was a buffalo. I was watching the fin slowly moving up stream when the water seemed disturbed like it might be a pretty big buff so I told him to shoot a little low and in front of it.

He drew back and shot about 5 foot in front of the fin. To my amazement , the arrow came to a sudden stop with half of it out of the water and then started slowly swimming away! Sam asked what we shot and i told him I had no idea but if it was connected to the tail fin , it was huge! We got the line and float off the reel and the bow put away before the fish knew it was hit. When we started putting pressure on tho it was obvious we were in for a fight. It was over an hour before we saw the fish again. When the fish surfaced, we were all in shock! it was a monster gator gar that looked like it was trimmed in BLACK! Sam got a follow up in her but when it hit , the first arrow pulled out. Another 30 minutes of hard fighting and we got her up again and the Canadian stuck her.
With two solid lines on her we got the fish to the boat pretty soon. We were all totally exhausted and barely had time to take pics before dark. The gar weighed 252 and was featured in FEILD AND STREAM mag. To my knowlege, thats the only pro bowfishing story they have ever run!

The shock of a big rolling fish was too much for that guy but the GOOD LORD gave him just a glimpse and he somehow stuck the fish of a lifetime! I will never forget it!

·
Registered
526 Posts
I shot a buffalo in mid air when it was jumping over some hydrilla once. I don't know how i did this. I was following the buffalo through the water about to let go of the arrow. It just happened to jump out and i let it fly. hit it before it was back in the water.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts