1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Hope you are doing well?

Need some advice please?

So we are supposed to shoot fish already over here in SA but the weather is just crazy this year. First the water was very low and green. Now with all the rain the water is high an brown like mud. Even my usual spots are brown that normally stays clean.

How or where do I find carp or grass carp now?

Thanks a mil
Marno

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I'd say you might have to wait it out until the brown turns clear. Some years are better than others with water conditions.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Just goes to show that no matter where you bowfish in the world, water conditions will always turn to chit right before you get to go...

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Will wait it out. Hard to do that though. Haha. Been waiting all winter to get back on the water.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm not sure how much water you have available to you, but we have to change areas quite often based on water clarity due to run off. Whether it be a whole new part of the country or just a different part of a lake or river system.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks man. I think I will have to start looking at other dams or rivers as well. Might be the only option.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I wouldn't know how to shoot fish if our water was clear. All of our fish have to be within the top six inches of the water level or else forget about it. Most of the time we shoot at color changes.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Marno, if we hit the lake and the water is chocolate we don't abandon the day, we had towards the shallows where there is grass and stickups. We run those edges pretty close looking for the carp to start bouncing off the grass, the weeds, the stick ups, etc. to tell us if we want to slow down and shoot that area. If nothing we can move on to the next area. Good talking with you again and good luck.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Here on the Ohio River it looks like chocolate milk in most spots where I go. If I can see more than 6-8" of the trolling motor shaft that's pretty clear. However the fish (mostly gar) seem to glow under the lights and are near the surface most of the time. Areas where creeks and streams enter can be clearer along with the creeks themselves.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a mil for the help guys! I rigged my bass boat with some LED's so I am gonna try at night then as well to see if I spot something in the dirty water.

Whole new thing for me this brown water and night shooting as well. Will give some feedback.

For the past three years we have only been used to clean water. hahaha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts