BowFishing Country banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I'm new to the site and pretty new to bowfishing too. This year will be my second year bowfishing, but I'm already addicted! Last year I used an old 30 lb compound and a wrap up the line reel. This year I want to upgrade my gear. What would you guys recommend for a bow, reel/retriever and arrows. All in alli hopw to stay around $400. Thanks!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Check out the AMS Fish Hawk or PSE wave combo kits. Both come ready to shoot and offer great values.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I would keep the old bow for another year and get a Retriever or a spinner and strait shooter and a bowfishing rest. Can get a new bow later and switch it all over then.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Retriever, an if you have the money a bow like a PSE or a Oneida if you can find a good one.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Check out my posts i Have a few bows for sale. Might be able to help you out.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
30lb discovery 2, shakespere TI 20 reel, Muzzy reel seat, PowerPro 200 lb line and a whisker bisquit, Muzzy point on a yellow jacket arrow!
Use the rest of your $400 for gas!

UNLESS you are in California...then you need 80 pounds to penetrate those armored fish!!

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
30lb discovery 2, shakespere TI 20 reel, Muzzy reel seat, PowerPro 200 lb line and a whisker bisquit, Muzzy point on a yellow jacket arrow!
Use the rest of your $400 for gas!

UNLESS you are in California...then you need 80 pounds to penetrate those armored fish!!
Or Idaho, or anywhere with cold water. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the replies:tu: I'm gonna be getting a new bow because the one I had been using I no longer have. So I'm going to take a look at the fish hawk and pse bows. they look to be both in my price range and high quality bows.

·
Electrocutioner
6,622 Posts
Or Idaho, or anywhere with cold water. :)
Since the cold water turns carp into armored carp I wonder what these gator gar that we shoot here with Discoveries would be like in cold water? Probably have to shoot at least 150 lbs to even get a scale back on your tip--

·
Registered
936 Posts
Since the cold water turns carp into armored carp I wonder what these gator gar that we shoot here with Discoveries would be like in cold water? Probably have to shoot at least 150 lbs to even get a scale back on your tip--
LMAO! That old thread always cracked me up!!!

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I'm sure it would be tough to ever kill one. There's been numerous times I've came up with nothing but a carp scale, on mirror carp anyway. Them dang mirrors have some armor scales, I've seen one scale the size of a tennis ball.

G

·
Yea, stick with the bow, just upgrade your reel, rest, etc.

Since your using a hand wind reel and used to grabbing the line, I would say that a Retriever would be the next step. You will be amazed how much more enjoyable your fishing trips will be when you dont have to fool with that hand wind system...

·
Registered
210 Posts
read the reviews for the bow before you buy, some of the cheaper bows have problems like string slipping off cams. when I first started bowfishing, I went on ebay and bought a used youth bow then set it up with a retreiver reel and a fishhook rest. after reading advices on this site , I got a better idea of what I wanted.

·
Electrocutioner
6,622 Posts
LMAO! That old thread always cracked me up!!!
Me too! :tu: The topic still comes up from time to time but not as good as the old thread. I think Kuger and Jeff are getting old or maybe tired of arguing. lol

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Me too! :tu: The topic still comes up from time to time but not as good as the old thread. I think Kuger and Jeff are getting old or maybe tired of arguing. lol
Maybe it's just too hard for em to type those long paragraphs after pulling back 90 lbs for so long .....:wave:

·
Registered
539 Posts
id just keep it simple, i ghoot a golden eagle from the 90's with a muzzy xd reel and it treats me well
id say keep your old bow and get you a new reel (i prefer spinners, the ams retriever i just dont like too much since there is no drag)
yoou definetly dont have to spend too much on your bow setup to kill fish, an onieda would be nice but i could do just as well with an older compund as i could with a new onieda or newer compound :nk:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts