Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1870 weldbuit what size do i need to build the float pods for it

·
Banned
39 Posts
I have 1870 weldbuit what size do i need to build the float pods for it
You need to decide how much weight you need to support and that will help you decide if the floats are really what you need. Are you adding a platform in the back? Are you supporting people in the back area now or are you supporting a generator? Ask yourself how much weight you need to support per pod and that will help you decide. I have an 1860 and am getting ready to install pods that will support 180# each. I figured the weight of my back platform along with 2 people sitting on top. These are some really large pods but I want to keep the same flotation I have now with them sitting in position. You can check our magazine for float pod advertisers. We have several that do great work.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a fan and generator gas tanks in the back so im heavy in the back. how do figure how much pod will lift is there formula u go by

·
Registered
350 Posts
Dan, we know pods will help level us out just not sure how big to make them.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Dan, we know pods will help level us out just not sure how big to make them.
I would like to give you a definite answer on this one but I don't want to step out of my realm of knowledge on things. There is a formula for this but I truthfully don't remember the facts because at the time didn't care. I just wanted to make sure it would work for our boat and was very excited that it will function properly for our boat. I would recommend talking to Dave or Dan at Boyd Welding, this was who I ordered mine through and was "Schooled" on how to figure the right size for my purpose. From the knowledge I got from him in layman's terms are this: Bowfishermen put a lot of weight on the back of boats and if you need the most flotation you should go with a 22-24" pod @ 10" or more high. If you have a 16' or smaller the stairstep looks nice and functions well without length. These are usually around 16-18" long and stepped. You can also go with a short single and receive the same flotation for a small boat though because it is what is under water that supplies the float. If some of it is out of the water it is not doing you any good out of the water.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Ok thanks!!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
i have a fan and generator gas tanks in the back so im heavy in the back. how do figure how much pod will lift is there formula u go by

A pod will give you 62-64lbs of added floatation per cubic foot of pod UNDER WATER. If you have a two cubic foot pod, but only one cubic foot in the water, you can only figure on 62-64lbs of lift. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
815 Posts
As mentioned 1 cubic foot (12"x12"x12") works out to 62.4 pounds of displacement if fully submerged.

I really guessed on the size of mine but it all worked out. Mine are roughly 26" wide, 18" tall & 22" deep in a stair stepped design that follows the outer contour of the boat & angled on the inside to allow the motor to fully turn. That works out to 275-300 pounds of displacement per pod BUT only if they were fully submerged. With the weight I put back there they ride with the top of the bottom step right at water level & works great. My boat is really heavy in the back with 7 batteries, oil tank, motor, genny, cooler, fish tub & 22 gal. fuel cell about 1/3 way to front.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I feel that if anything my boat plans faster now. My only problem came from the fact that I took so much weight out of the front that it tends to porpoise some. I am in the process of figuring out how much weight to add back to the nose like the extra fuel cans or a passanger or whatever while running full throttle.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts