BowFishing Country banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to start getting into flounder gigging but was going to see what advice everyone had. Do gigging lights underwater have any advantage versus normal above water lights used for bowfishing? Is it best to go fast and cover a lot of area or does a troller, kicker, etc spook them easy? Any advice will help.

·
Registered
319 Posts
A troller can spook them, particularly in calm shallow water. It's relatively easy to use your gig as a push pole to cover ground or steer. Most guys prefer submerged lights these days. It's more important to see the bottom within reach of your gig than it is to see a fish at the surface 30 feet away. The more ground you can cover the better but not at the expense of missing fish. Finding good water is as important as finding fish sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
2,372 Posts
Takes a different mentality. Can't be scanning the edge of the lights for that first glimps of a tail or dorsal fin. Have to slow down and pay particular attention to any deformities on the bottom. We usually just use the bows, unless they are up too shallow for the boat, then we will get out with the gigs and underwater lights and walk for them.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Welcome from NC.

Advantage to underwater lights is that it eliminates any glare from rippling water caused by wind. Usually i poll along with the gig. but have put the kicker in gear and let it push us around slow on bowfishing boat. Usually have bow in hand when doing that but with a bow its hard to judge the size of the fish if its border line large enough. with a gig you can use the head for reference. When fishing is slow on the flounder boat we turn the troller on low and steer with the gig poles. there isnt really a right or wrong way to do it, main thing is find a pattern of where the fish are whether it be sand bank, flats, or grass edges, then look for as many area as you can that are holding fish. just like any time of fishing really.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Troller is the only way to go as long as you have enough water. Cover a lot wore ground and your not near as tired. In my early/younger days I poled a many a mile chasing fish but now I sit back and ride.
Mag I can't believe you pole that Big Ass skiff of yours very far.

·
Registered
319 Posts
LOL! It's not a problem as long as you're not fighting the wind. Won't be long before my fan is operational. I pick up all the aluminum components from the water jet guy tomorrow. Last time out we had cloudy water so we were having to get right up against the beach. I about beat that Minn Kota to death and we had several flatties decide they didn't like that sand being pounded in their vicinity. Going to Horn Island for a week or more at the end of the month. :D

·
Registered
414 Posts
LOL! It's not a problem as long as you're not fighting the wind. Won't be long before my fan is operational. I pick up all the aluminum components from the water jet guy tomorrow. Last time out we had cloudy water so we were having to get right up against the beach. I about beat that Minn Kota to death and we had several flatties decide they didn't like that sand being pounded in their vicinity. Going to Horn Island for a week or more at the end of the month. :D
Sure hope you've got a something with AC to stay in while your there. Skeeters will tote you off on those islands.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I'm old school. Get out the boat and take a coleman lantern. Mano e Mano.
Coleman fuel worked better than propane or gas. It does take technique though.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sure hope you've got a something with AC to stay in while your there. Skeeters will tote you off on those islands.
Canvas sleeping tent, mess tent, screen room, & latrine tent. Three or four ThermaCells, a ThermaCell lantern, a few cans of deet, and a couple of bottles of SkinSoSoft. If that ain't enough, I got gas to get my butt back to the mainland and a buddy with a Condo on Orange Beach. I'm thinking spend most the night on the boat and eat & sleep during the day in the shade.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Canvas sleeping tent, mess tent, screen room, & latrine tent. Three or four ThermaCells, a ThermaCell lantern, a few cans of deet, and a couple of bottles of SkinSoSoft. If that ain't enough, I got gas to get my butt back to the mainland and a buddy with a Condo on Orange Beach. I'm thinking spend most the night on the boat and eat & sleep during the day in the shade.
Sounds like my kind of trip. :drunk:

·
Registered
414 Posts
That might work,but Damn it's going to be hot in the middle of the day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts