BowFishing Country banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my boat has foam in both sides in the back. I see alot of people taking there foam out. Does it hurt or help if the foam is in the boat. It has foam in the sides and under the floors but I didn't think I need all the foam in both back sides of the boat. Some help would b nice cause I wasn't sure.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Only reason the foam is in there is for when you decide to sink it it will keep it afloat.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what if i added pods to the back and filled them with foam and took it out of the boat. would that help if it tried to sink?

·
Super Moderator
2,372 Posts
what if i added pods to the back and filled them with foam and took it out of the boat. would that help if it tried to sink?
Why fill the pods with foam? If u seal them up air tight ( like they should be ) no foam is required to create buoyancy when submerged.

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
i took all the foam out of my boat, it was old and nasty and added weight. some choose to leave it and some dont.

·
Registered
319 Posts
When Long Beach built my boat, one of the things he needed to know before the deckover was if I intended to put foam in the boat. There was a coating he wanted to add if so to protect the aluminum since I was going to be using it in saltwater as well. Seems foams generally hold some water and that prolonged exposure to saltwater is a no-no for exposed aluminum.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea im still new to the whole boating and bowfishing world and trying to get into it more. ive been shooting archery since i was 5 but started bowfishing a little a couple years ago and since my wife likes it now to i cant get in trouble. So im trying to learn the does and donts of the boats and going to start looking for a bigger boat now.

·
Registered
807 Posts
If the foam is waterlogged remove it and REPLACE IT! My partner and I likely had our lives saved due to a boat having the proper amount of supplemental flotation foam installed. Let me tell you how it feels to be a mile out in six foot rollers and nothing but the shooting deck and windshield sticking out of the water.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
If the foam is waterlogged remove it and REPLACE IT! My partner and I likely had our lives saved due to a boat having the proper amount of supplemental flotation foam installed. Let me tell you how it feels to be a mile out in six foot rollers and nothing but the shooting deck and windshield sticking out of the water.
6ft rollers? Dam where were you? Middle of the ocean? I was just out in the Atlantic 10 miles offshore last weekend with 20mph winds blowing straight from.Africa and only had 4ft waves. Wasn't bad In the 32ft contender but still got bounced around.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Personally I say remove the foam to save a headache later with water logged foam. Boat insurance Is cheap and I wear a life jacket when under power at night and any time the weather picks up.

·
Registered
807 Posts
6ft rollers? Dam where were you? Middle of the ocean? I was just out in the Atlantic 10 miles offshore last weekend with 20mph winds blowing straight from.Africa and only had 4ft waves. Wasn't bad In the 32ft contender but still got bounced around.
Large lake here locally that is deep at the one end and gets very shallow towards the fishing end, and happens to be located in a natural wind tunnel. And to add to the story we had no business being where we were at the time in the boat we were in, but the flotation in the boat allowed it to be a learning experience instead of much worse.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Why fill the pods with foam? If u seal them up air tight ( like they should be ) no foam is required to create buoyancy when submerged.
I agree that foam isn't required. That being said, if he wants foam in his pods I could see it helping displace water if they were to be punctured. Be a lot better than taking on the water.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Only, from what I have seen only the pleasure boats or fishing boats have the foam in them, none of the commercial boats I have seen, or used have the foam in them. Lot of time the pleasure/fishing boats use a foam that is sprayed in, or added after the welding is done, and they are porous, and over time will soak up some water and add weight to your boat, the white polystyrene doesn't do that but is hard to weld around. It will ignite pretty easily. The added security of having the foam is usually a false security, it only slows the sinking down, granted ive only sunk one of them. LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts