BowFishing Country banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a generac 5500 nearly brand new................ you guessed it, gas went to crap. I must have put stabilizer in everything but the genny... Im getting gas to the carb. I emptied the tank and put new gas in it , took the bowl off the carb and got that junky gas out of there. I was going to fill the tank and loosen up the drain plug on the carb and let some good gas cycle through it but when I turned the gas on nothing cycles through. Shouldn't it? The engine will run for a second if I splash gas in the carb, but I caint splash fast enough lol... Any help on getting it runnin?
thanks
Jason

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, Iv never had any success with carbs but I took the whole thing apart, cleaned it put it back together and it worked! I didn't remember it being that loud...

·
Super Moderator
2,372 Posts
Yep, ethanol is a B!TCH. I'm lucky enough to have several stations around here that carry non E gas. I never put e- gas in any of my small motors. Even give the trucks a tank of pure gas from time to time. My 4 wheeler is hard to start and real sluggish if I put that trash in it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought I put gas treatment in everything guess not the genny. I got up this morning thinking I was gonna have to pull 3 carbs off the big boat but I hooked a battery (and new gas) and it fired right up. Thank God......... I haven't ran the big boat in over a year. We mainly cruze around or fish out of the narrow 14 footer. These "rivers" here in south Ga is what we referred to as creeks back in Tn. Even with the smaller boat with a 15 on it, your almost guaranteed to have to pull it or just give up all together if a tree falls across the "river". I did put the big boat in one of these rivers once. The look on peoples face is priceless when their partying on a sand bar and theres only 10 inches of water across the whole river and they see you comin at WOT.. See ya boys I cant slow down!!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Soaking a carb can be a hassle. Then there are parts that rust out. The main jet is usually stopped. Or perhaps the float is sticking. The old backflush usually will give you an idea of the condition of the fuel line and tank. Then just to git shiggles I will put my low pressure propane regulator, and needle valve out. Push the propane hose into the carb, or breather. This will get it running, in order to eliminate a spark/wire problem. I don't blame the fuel. The operator could have taken the time to drain it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts