BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after being sick for most of the trapping season i really have the itch now that its almost over:headbang: so i have been preparing for next season and i picked up more land than i have traps for. so to fix that problem i am getting more traps and going to build a chit ton of snares. so far i have 2 dozen mb650's coming for my coyote and beaver runs, also goingto pick up a few dozen #1's for mink and coon, also just a few dog proof coon traps for our in town population of coon, still need to get a couple dozen of fox traps and just a few 330's and a bunch of chain for my drags. i laid in bed last night all night planning out next seasos run:headbang:

·
Super Moderator
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
picked up 3 dozen of the duke 1 1/2 last week for rats, mink and coon water sets. was on sale for $50 a dozen. now saving up for a few dozen of the MB550's

·
Registered
13,949 Posts
now saving up for a few dozen of the MB550's

Cadillac's!!:cheers:
I have to run up to the place in Montana this summer I will make ya a deal on all my water steel...I have a ton!!!I have a whole bunch of #3 long springs I am trying to sell right now

·
Super Moderator
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anyone ready to lay some iron yet? i updated pretty much all my traps this year and for coyotes, cats and fox i have all MB550's and MB650's. i ended up with 5 dozen duke 1 1/2's for water sets and few dozen of the Duke Dog Proofs. water traps and dog proofs will probably just hang in basement all year cause i dont think im gonna go after anthing but coyote,cat and fox.
built 7 or 8 dozen snares this summer and also made all my own cable stakes this year. also got some fish oil made myself as well as some horse hoof tea. :D

·
Super Moderator
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this was my 1st year making fish oil and horse hoof tea, whew what a stinky mess. i had a 55 gallon drum 3/4 way full of bluegills and started it in May. i would open the lid once a month or so and when it was really stinky i had my son do it and he opened the lid and dropped it and instantly started puking.:laugh::laugh::laugh:. i laughed my azz off for awhile over that one. sure do gotta have a strong stomach to skim the good oil off the top of all the nasty azz chit below.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
That's a nasty mess. Have you tried salting fish it works great on water sets and it doesn't get stinky smells like fish that you just caught and I use the juices straight out of the bucket works great.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Laying iron at daylight in the morning! I haven't had any time at home this year, so I built a week of fur into a Thanksgiving trip. This is gonna be a whole new game for me. We can't trap for cats at home, but no limit here in TN. I'd say I've got a great chance of getting skunked, but it beats working all week. Just as soon as the boat hit the water tonight, the song dogs started in.......Got me in the mood in a hurry. Full moon this week, so maybe I've got a chance? Hopefully pics to follow, and any words of wisdom will be appreciated. You guys catching anything yet?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Spent the morning getting the 12v chitter to flush. Set about 15 this afternoon. The furnace on the boat quit me last night. 36 in here this morning, so the most exciting news of the day is 30,000 BTUs of heat. I'll get it mounted permanent to the wall tomorrow, but for now it's good enough!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
IMG_2293.jpg

Yep, staying on a boat. Not as fancy as most of the neighbors, but it suits us well. You hardly ever see any of the big high dollar boats move, but the family with the smallest old boat on the dock has only missed one weekend since Feb. He's going to be here in the morning to help be set some more steel. Then it's on to setting jugs and drinkin a few cold ones.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Thanks. I don't have much confidence in what I set today, but found some good looking dirt to set tomorrow. I found a bunch of turkeys in the flatish ground between the steep rocky stuff and the water. Any thoughts on setting that for cats? Found a spot with some cow pasture at the top of the timber too, so I think I'll make some k9 sets there. I think up and down the dock and around the dumpsters is the place for the DPs.:shh: Still looking for a good patch of thick stuff to lay a few dozen snares. I can't even find a fresh beaver chew. Gonna head up the river tomorrow and try to find my comfort zone.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I like the river for beaver always find more sign on my coon sets for dps I like feeder creeks or ditches coming into the main river channel or out of the ordinary things coons are curious critters they love to check things out.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Another thing pay attention to your dps if your using fish oils or fish for bait I have had otters take my top marshmallow before so I dug a slide in and had his azz the next morning along with a beaver the third day.

·
Registered
13,949 Posts
that boat is plenty fancy for me!That is so awesome...man stayin right on the water runnin a water line....now thats sweet!! As far as those cats,remember cats use their eyes more than their other senses,use a attractor on a string,dont be too concerned how your set looks...I dont recommend it but I have caught cats in bare...uncovered traps,they dont care.The love those rock piles and will walk the bases,and hunt through out.They are very curios use your imagination.Also use as much beaver castor as you can

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
that boat is plenty fancy for me!That is so awesome...man stayin right on the water runnin a water line....now thats sweet!! As far as those cats,remember cats use their eyes more than their other senses,use a attractor on a string,dont be too concerned how your set looks...I dont recommend it but I have caught cats in bare...uncovered traps,they dont care.The love those rock piles and will walk the bases,and hunt through out.They are very curios use your imagination.Also use as much beaver castor as you can
I've got CDs, beer cans, feathers, and cardboard hanging for flags. Made a few cubby sets. That goes against everything I've ever known about catching a critter. lol I made my cat sets look like a chicken massacre, went thru beaver castor like it was water, and re purposed a five gallon bucket of skint rats. Hopefully it all pans out. It still seems counter intuitive to not give a hoot about scent and make it so they will see it.:cf: I'll get my head around it soon. I just ran my new heater out of gas. Had to hit three boats before I found a full tank.:laugh:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts