BowFishing Country banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently built a light railing for my small Scott canoe and when I have the HPS lights running and grab both sides of my railing i get jolted. I'm completing the circuit for some reason. I know the ground for the 150 HPS lights is in the housing which is bolted to the railing. I was wondering if i put rubber around the railings then bolted on the lights if this would help or if anyone else had similar problems and new how to fix the problem. canoe.jpg
Thank for the help
Brandon Bergen

·
Registered
968 Posts
I am not sure if this is the answer but the ballast may be grounded to the housing and then the ground is transfered through to the rail. I dont think that the ballasts are required to be grounded so you my try unhooking one of them to see if it still works. If it does then try unhooking all of them and then try grabbing both rails.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Do you only get shocked when the ballasts/lights are on?

If you have a multimeter, you can do some checking without being the guinea pig...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the late reply been out of town for work, my balasts are in a separate box with the capacitors and igniters, I do know that yes i only get shocked when the lights are running. ill be trying to figure out if the rubber that i added to wear the lights connect to the rail help. It might have something to do with the rails being separated.

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
Sorry for the late reply been out of town for work, my balasts are in a separate box with the capacitors and igniters, I do know that yes i only get shocked when the lights are running. ill be trying to figure out if the rubber that i added to wear the lights connect to the rail help. It might have something to do with the rails being separated.
The rubber might insulate the lights but you still have "power/current" going where it shouldn't be.....

The rubber would make it like a bird landing on a power line, you aren't completing the circuit so not getting shocked but the power is still there...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts