BowFishing Country banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Please pardon another newbie to the forum who couldn't manage to find what he was looking for by using the search tool, but...

I live in Virginia on a tributary of the Potomac River and want to get into nighttime bowfishing for northern snakehead. There are plenty of them in the creek that borders my property; my landing, however, while great for my kayak and canoe, sits at the bottom of a wooded hill. This makes it impossible for me to back a trailer to launch or pull out a boat. Plus, the water can get really shallow at low tide. So as much as I admire those impressive snakehead bowfishing boats, they just aren't practical for my situation. My canoe is fine for fishing with a rod and reel, but leaves much to be desired in terms of stability, and doesn't offer much of a platform for mounting lights - not to mention accommodating the generator, if I should decide to go that route.

So I'm considering the possibility of setting up a floating dock at my landing, and mounting bowfishing lights to the dock. I plan to spend several consecutive evenings out there, illuminating the water in the dock's vicinity so that the snakehead discover the presence of baitfish and get used to them being there, with the result that rather than me travelling to seek snakehead, it's the snakehead who will seek out my dock.

Does the above seem like a workable plan? Will snakehead congregate around a stationary light source? Or do I absolutely need the mobility of a boat?

While we're on the subject, I'd like your opinion on the lights I should use. The water at my landing is murky brown, and the depth varies from 1 to 5 feet. I've tried one of those 12-inch-long submersible green LED light sticks (1900 lumens total) off Amazon, and while it produced a swarm of baitfish after a couple of hours, I was disappointed with the small radius of coverage it provided. I suppose I could get a second light stick, but I'd really like to go with something more substantial. I'm willing to run a generator if need be. Any suggestions on what type of lights and what wattages?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Welcome to the site. I would suggest getting a guided trip out there one night and see what it's all about. I think that would answer a lot of your questions. I wouldn't think lights on a dock would do anything for you.

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Welcome to the site. I would suggest getting a guided trip out there one night and see what it's all about. I think that would answer a lot of your questions. I wouldn't think lights on a dock would do anything for you.
X2 gonna need to be mobile, how about a floating dock with a small boat tied up to it ????? Take the boat out and go shoot some snakeheads would be my trick or do like the rest of us do that don't live on the water, trailer to where your going and go shoot some fish , welcome to the site.

Might Google and call Marc [email protected] "Dusk to Dawn bowfishing" he guides and also fishes the Potomac some and can see what it's all about off a boat at night

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Yep snakeheads although they move around here and there they arnt like other real mobile gamefish species. They use weeds and let's the bait fish come to them. I would either drift with your canoe during the day along the weed lines, get into setting up a boat and traveling to actual boat launches, or using handheld spot lights at night with a 2nd guy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts