BowFishing Country banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey yall! just made reservations at KY dam village for the 31 of July and the 1st of August. This will be my first bow fishing only trip down to the dams, what can I expect?

EDIT: also, I'm in a 1648..... that being said, how close would be safe to go to the dam itself? we are stable on the boat and I trust it, but I'm just looking for other opinions. thanks.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Go to Barkley and fish from the bank. I drive up there all the time and I never take my boat and I usually shoot a pile. Just have a plan on what to do with your fish.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Go to Barkley and fish from the bank. I drive up there all the time and I never take my boat and I usually shoot a pile. Just have a plan on what to do with your fish.
This is good advice. If you want to take your boat, that's fine--but I'd park it in the lot and try from shore first. If it's not good from the bank, then launch and look for them. If current is 10,000 or less, you should be safe pretty much anywhere. If gates are open, don't launch (the ramp will be closed anyway). Stay out of barges' way. If you hear a siren, move away from the dam or lock wall. The surge from a barge locking through could capsize you if you stay on top of it. Wear your lifejacket if you don't want a ticket (another good reason to stay on shore.) Expect the hottest climate you have ever experienced! It will probably be miserable. As for what you can expect...expect anything. Fish may be everywhere or unseen. Water may be clear or stained (Barkley has not been clear all season!) High current, low current, good weather, bad weather. It all affects the fish. Fishing may be great one day and non-existent the next. The most important thing is to be flexible. If there's nothing at Barkley, try Kentucky. If that fails, try the lakes. If that fails, try the rivers. I think a lot of people have an expectation that they are just going to be able to shoot 60lb bigheads one after another all day, every day, but that's typically not the case. Just take what nature gives you and think it through and you should have fun. May be bigheads, may be gar, may be paddlefish, probably be silvers...there's no telling. I may be there if I don't have to work. Maybe I'll see you there.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Definitely go to Barkley first, don't be afraid to use your boat if the current isn't crazy. Wear your PFD and use a spotlight at night. If the fish are up you will find them. Like JP holla said though, it all depends on weather and current, here today, gone tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
listening to advice as well. Headed there Aug 18-20.

Some things I've taken away:
- must wear life vest 100% of the time while on boat
- it is LEGAL to sink fish after shooting
- be careful around dams

1 - 10 of 10 Posts