BowFishing Country banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I understand that. Ours was 30k. But I was in the same boat ( no pun intended) we had no time to build our own. Like now we have gathered 95% of the parts to build this pusherfan, but finding the time to do it is the problem. We work 6 days a week. Go fishing on Saturday nights. Aligator season is right around the corner, so we are out scouting potential areas to hunt . Time seems to be not on our side at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Went to the Sportsman Show in the Super Dome today. Talked to multiple boat builders. Cottonmouth and Gator Trax were the two best built. Talked to owner of Gater Trax and he was really nice guy. Puts out a great boat and is quoting a exact replica of the kicker tracker. But he knows he will be around 50k to set up like the tracker. But he said he would be happy to put me a detailed estimate together this week and see where he compares in price. No doubt the boat will be solid.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My thing is if you can afford it and you love it and it is exactly what you want. Jump on it. Because there would be nothing worse than spending all that money on a boat that you hate. Get what you want the first time enjoy it. Use it, use it, use it. You only live once. Have fun, be safe. God bless.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a 18-60 grizzly and love it. No issues with anything after 3yrs of use. I run my lights batteries so the generator was the first thing to go.
Yes I have been on other boats, and no I'm not in denial. Well about my boat anyway.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As far as I am concerned, as long as you can afford it, you like the design/ layout, it floats and handles the abuse of bowfishing, use whatever means get you out there enjoying the experience and creating memories.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yea. I think at this point tracker is my best option. Don’t want to sink more then 40k in a boat. Appreciate everyone’s response. I will update what I end up with.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I've been told by numerous people that the only production hull they will ever buy again is SeaArk... for what its worth

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just an FYI, Tracker changed out the Chinese DC generator in late production models in 2018 to a 120v system with a Firman Inverter. The lights all use standard plugs. I had issues with my first Firman Inverter and Tracker gladly traded me out for a new one. Since then, I have had no problems.

I really like the boat. Its a Tracker 1860 CC Sportsman. I got it out the door for less than $24k with a 90hp motor. Maybe custom boats are great, but the Tracker has been a great boat so far.

·
Registered
131 Posts
For what it's worth, I have a 2072 Sea Ark. I would not say it is top notch quality. I have several internal areas that had to be welded over the years, I have had to rework the center console mounting every 2-3 years, the transom flexes, the internal floor material is too thin so the fasteners pull out and work loose and you can feel the boat flex in good size waves. Overall I would say my War Eagle was a better built boat, but I didn't like the sharper shape to the bow because of the shape of the platform if you follow the profile and it seemed more likely to take on water over the nose.

I haven't noticed anything in the Trackers I have been in that I could point out as far inferior quality to either the Sea Ark or the War Eagle. If you look at the overall cost and time of building up a Sea Ark or buying a completed Tracker, it's hard to tell someone not to go with the Tracker.

Custom boats are all the rage, but most manufactures don't stick around long for a reason and I have yet to see one that hasn't had to be sent back or taken to a local shop for weld repair or extra bracing.

A lot of guys like building their own or tinkering with one they bought and that's great. I like fishing and I hate having to leave early or not be able to go out because something aint working.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
For the past week I have re-thought everything. I talked to Gator-Trax who is pretty big custom builder not far from me. Same boat but with .190 hull is 10K more. I just don't know if I want to spend 50K. And Tracker has a lifetime hull warranty. I'm on the fence. I know the Gator-Trax is probably twice as well built. But its also 3-month build. Where Tracker is ready to pick up today.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I spent over a year looking at boats before buying my Tracker. Probably talking to alot if the same people that you are now.
All of the arguments above have two sides to them. Go with your gut. Only you know what's going to work best for you.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I'd quit fishing before I bought anything from bass pro or anything from tracker.
Man I know you have beef with the BassPro guys, but in the past couple years they have really done a lot of work promoting and supporting the bowfishing scene. JP is an avid bowfisher himself and loves Oneida bows enough to buy them out and make them better (from what I've heard). And lastly, they put on one of the best tournaments for the sport. I understand people don't have to like a company and it sounds like you have reason too since you are a vet and know more history than most of us... but from my perspective I think they deserve a little more credit.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
For the past week I have re-thought everything. I talked to Gator-Trax who is pretty big custom builder not far from me. Same boat but with .190 hull is 10K more. I just don't know if I want to spend 50K. And Tracker has a lifetime hull warranty. I'm on the fence. I know the Gator-Trax is probably twice as well built. But its also 3-month build. Where Tracker is ready to pick up today.
Just FYI Gatortrax is not a custom boat builder, sure they can prob build what you want for alot more cost but they are mainly a production hull. Also Gatortrax builds mainly mud boats with shallow sides. You can find a good used Sea ark for around 15K slap some lights on it and a trolling motor and you have the same setup as a Tracker. I dont care what anyone says, I know plenty of people personally that have owned the tracker and its falling apart. The guy that just bought my last custom boat said he had a tracker before and it was so cheaply made and was really hard to sell. He took one look at my boat and could see the difference in a custom built boat and a production boat.

·
Registered
42 Posts
post #15 pretty much explains his reasoning

Pretty vague reasons to hate a company. We live in a capitalist economy. Big companies push out the little guy all the time. The big company gets too big and forgets about its customers. The little guy comes back with a different product and level of service and recaptures market share. Its how the business cycle works in hunting, fishing and pretty much everything. Harley Davidson dominates the American made heavy motorcycle industry, yet there are still hundreds of smaller custom builders out there doing pretty well.

Point being, buy what you want and get out and enjoy the outdoors. I am well enough happy with my Tracker boat and the service I got when I purchased it. For that matter, I like my Harley as well!!!!!!!!! :shh:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Like I stated before. I don't like supporting big corporations. And as far as them supporting bowfishing, that's bull crap. They are in it for the $. Many years ago I did a tournament to help a palmer home for kids. I asked them for help (donation or a prize) and nothing! Couple years later I did one for our local high school athletic program because our school was destroyed by a tornado, again nothing! Then I did another a couple years after that for the same palmer home, and again NOTHING! Every small company I asked supported, but the richest of all didn't. So I say screw them. What goes around, comes around

21 - 40 of 43 Posts