BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know alot of people say yes and alot say no so here goes...
should i ground my genny and my ballast box ..? so everything is grounded to the boat?
not real sure on this part any help would be nice thanks!!

·
Administrator
14,260 Posts
I have never ever seen a generator grounded to the boat. I will never do it either.
Does you genny bolt to the boat?
If yes it grounded to the boat!
Does you genny touch metal on your boat?
If yes it grounded!!
Does your light bolt to the boat and do you have a ground wire running to it?
Then it grounded to the boat!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Does you genny bolt to the boat?
If yes it grounded to the boat!
Does you genny touch metal on your boat?
If yes it grounded!!
Does your light bolt to the boat and do you have a ground wire running to it?
Then it grounded to the boat!
My generator sits on rubber isolators. So No, its not grounded to the boat. :D

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
My genny sits in the bottom of my boat so I guess it is grounded.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Well you do not meet USCG Regs!!!
I do know what you mean about the grounding though. I know that most of the time fixtures are bolted down and they are grounded. I just mean that I won't run a ground wire from my boat to the generator. Just not for me.......

And what percentage of bowfishing boats out there are up to USCG regulations! Not a very large percentage! :laugh:

·
Administrator
14,260 Posts
If you do not ground your genny your breaker on it will not work!!!
You have the light grounded to the boat, but not the genny your breaker will not work like the should!!!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
If you do not ground your genny your breaker on it will not work!!!
You have the light grounded to the boat, but not the genny your breaker will not work like the should!!!

Grounding or not grounding will not affect a regular breaker. It will cause a ground fault circuit interrupter to not work. Most generators don't have GFCI that I have seen. I know my little champion does not.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Grounding or not grounding will not affect a regular breaker. It will cause a ground fault circuit interrupter to not work. Most generators don't have GFCI that I have seen. I know my little champion does not.
That's what I've always thought to but I'm not 100% positive.So I'll ask this for anyone that can answer it.Ok say I fired up my generator and it's not grounded in any way,shape or form.While it's running what would happen if I threw a dead short to it??????The breaker would still trip wouldn't it?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
That's what I've always thought to but I'm not 100% positive.So I'll ask this for anyone that can answer it.Ok say I fired up my generator and it's not grounded in any way,shape or form.While it's running what would happen if I threw a dead short to it??????The breaker would still trip wouldn't it?
Yup. A regular breaker like on most all generators doesn't require a ground. Only GFCI. The only thing that will trip a regular breaker is a dead short or overload. All jokes aside, you could be severely shocked or injured without the breaker tripping. GFCI with a grounded system, you would be safe and worry free. I am confident in my wiring and my light setup, so I don't run a GFCI. Its not a bad idea though. But not absolutly necessary.

·
String Twister
3,691 Posts
If a genny slides off the back deck in 10 footawadda then your lights will go out.Really,and it bubbles on the way down.

Musta been grounded cause I didn't get shocked or nothing,not even a tingle!

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
If a genny slides off the back deck in 10 footawadda then your lights will go out.Really,and it bubbles on the way down.

Musta been grounded cause I didn't get shocked or nothing,not even a tingle!
Been there and done that.Only difference was mine didn't go overboard.I sunk my boat with the generator running.You couldn't have drove a spike nail in my ass with a sledge hammer.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts