BowFishing Country banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The ground is the return that make the breaker work!!!

It why I like 240 over 120 volts, 120 will hold you 240 will push you off!
And you do not want 277 to hit you!!!
The ground has nothing to do with making a breaker work, a breaker is an OVERcurrent device only, if you have a 20A breaker, it "trips" if more than 20A flows thru the current carrying conductor. A ground is not a current carrying conductor or the return leg for 120v. The neutral is a current carrying conductor and being alternating current nothing is a "return", it is simply part of the circuit to derive 120v. Also a certain voltage does not "push" you away or hold you on, it is all relative to the resistance in the "short circuit" be it 120 or 480 3 phase. 120v kills more people than all combined simply due to the fact that it is far and away the most widely utilized voltage, and a voltage most often encounter by unqualified "tinkerers";)
A ground is simply a path trying to provide the least resistance should a Fault occur in a circuit, this is why grounds are connected to all metal devices, enclosures, raceways, etc etc that could inadvertently become energized.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Just another thought here. How many of you have tried or use a GFCI receptacle or breaker on your CAPPED HPS lights, and does it nuisance trip the gfci. I know you can't reliably run a gfci on fluorescents because the ballasts use capacitors which charge by holding amperage from the line side. This causes enough amp difference to randomly trip gfci's. Do HPS lights have the same effect? I would think so?

It seems as though some people do not respect what electricity can do. I assume its lack of knowledge on the subject. There is way more than enough current on a bowfishing rig to fatally injure someone. It doesn't matter if its 120, 240, 480 ... Etc. as has been said before, it's the current (amps) that do the damage. 20-30 milliamps or .2-.3 amps is all it takes to disrupt or stop heart function all together.

·
Registered
529 Posts
It seems as though some people do not respect what electricity can do. I assume its lack of knowledge on the subject. There is way more than enough current on a bowfishing rig to fatally injure someone. It doesn't matter if its 120, 240, 480 ... Etc. as has been said before, it's the current (amps) that do the damage. 20-30 milliamps or .2-.3 amps is all it takes to disrupt or stop heart function all together.
Excuse me. My decimal point was off. 20-30 milliamps is equal to .02-.03 amps ... just caught that!

·
Administrator
14,260 Posts
My Gator Gar Pro has a GFCI receptacle and have not had any problem with it.
I do not think it wired right, only one ballast tie into it.

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
My experience with HPS lites is limited but I believe the caps just counter the inductive power to make it more resistive ( power factor correction). Basicaly it puts less of a load in the genny. It shouldnt effect the GFCI. The GFCI compares load line to the neutral line, if its not the same that means current is being lost somewhere, so it trips. They are sensitive and some just trip.

·
Registered
92 Posts
14 or 15 years ago, I dumped a running genny in the Sabine one eve. This was about a month after my brother had asked how smart it was being on large body of water....in a metal boat....with extension cords plugged in to a gen....
Anyway, that fraction of a second it took for the gen to go from the rear deck to water was the longest second of butt puckering, tip toeing, praying I would die quick second of my life.
But it just blub blubbed and sank, creating utter darkness and eerie silence....

·
Registered
28 Posts
All this talk of grounding and no mention of the potential for stray current corrosion?

This is a confusing subject to me. The way I currently understand it ("understand" is an overstatement), I don't know why someone would want to ground the generator to their hull. If there is a short, electricity would go through the hull and into the water. This will cause stray current corrosion. http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/galvanic/. The zinc anode might protect the aluminum hull for a while but with 5 hr fishing trips, the boat might sink before anyone knew they had a problem. And who checks their zincs after each trip?

Instead of grounding the generator to the hull, we could, as another poster suggested, hang the ground wire over the side and into the water. Since copper is more noble than aluminum, even without a fault situation, we would create galvanic corrosion. To protect the boat from galvanic corrosion and, if there is a short, stray current corrosion, clamp a zinc anode to the end of the copper wire.

Does this make sense?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Your breaker dont have anything to do with a ground its gonna trip on overcurrent. The only reason you would ground something say.. a light rail would be if you have your lights mounted on the light rail and it is insulated and not touching earth ground or a neutral in anyway it could become energized if for some reason a hot wire was touching it somewhere. Im gonna say 99.9% of everything on your boat is grounded weither you mean for it to be or not.

·
Super Moderator
7,652 Posts
The ground is the return that make the breaker work!!!

It why I like 240 over 120 volts, 120 will hold you 240 will push you off!
And you do not want 277 to hit you!!!
Hey mud this is an old post on the sticky but 240 volts is just (2) different out of phase 120 volt lines..yes 277 or 480 volts ( is two out phase 220 volt lines) hurts and don't like getting bit with any of it. We run thru GFI recepticles and Genny sitting on deck on rubber pad and dropped lit light bulb in bucket of water and tripped, that's the way we run.

·
Super Moderator
7,652 Posts
My Hanko was grounded for ten years and it had magnizeium anode on it .
And it had no problem with it metal!
Went in salt water allot!
That's because of magnesium anode. Magnesium is less noble than aluminum and best anode for aluminum boats.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
no reason to ground on a boat. wire them lights straight to the genny, ive sunk one while a genny runnin, ive ripped lights off and have dead shorts to the boat, the only thing that happens is the genny bogs down and cuts off.

·
Registered
849 Posts
so after reading all this is............do we ground or not to ground? I read on another forum that small sinewave inverters often do not allow their neutrals connected to ground? My inverter is a sinewave. I've searched all over the internet and talked with numerous bowfishing folks in person & phone about ground for aluminum boats some say yes some say no. For looking for proper way to ground my genny there is only conflicting advice (no disrespect intended). I've found some definitive corrosion tests, theres no doubt that AC current can degrade a metal boat hull not just DC. UGH! this chit is confusing.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts