BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am having a discussion with a co-worker about the recent school shooting in Florida. He (35) has two children (boy and girl), wife is a teacher, grew up on farm in NW IA and recently bought an acreage out in the country. He says that he isn't against banning all guns but is a firm believer that no one needs to own "automatic rifles"... I told him that the guns being used are not "automatic" but are semi auto. He still believes that AR-15s should be banned. He owns a .22 long rifle but he doesn't know what brand or model and he hasn't shot it in years...

That being said... I told him that it is not the gun killing people. Its not a gun issue. Its a people issue. Its children who were not brought up respecting firearms and human lives.

We both hate seeing school shootings. Anyone that does is messed up in the head. We cannot even agree to disagree on issues, let alone solutions. I keep telling him I do not have a solution. If I did I would not be here arguing with him or typing this. I would be fighting for the solution to the people who make the decisions.

What do you all think? What needs to be done? What can we do to prevent school shootings and mass shooting in this country?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also tell him that now that his family is out in the country on an old farm acreage he needs to be teaching his kids about firearm safety. Even if he has zero interest in hunting or guns or shooting sports that doesn't mean that his kids aren't going to grow up and have friends that are into hunting and guns and may someday want to learn how to. Hell, his daughter could very well end up marrying someone whose family is a hunting family.

With him being on an old farm site he knows that he will eventually have to use his gun on critters at some point either being rabid or stuck in his garage or something.

·
Registered
644 Posts
According to the ATA, there are over 5 million AR15's in the US, based on those numbers how many of them were used to commit murders?
I would be willing to bet that more people die from talking, texting and surfing the web while driving in any one day compared to ten years of AR ownership.
I propose we ban all cellphones.

·
Registered
877 Posts
More education on the mental health issues. Shooter in Florida is a fetal alcohol syndrome babie that grew up without the help and support he needed. Look back at the shooters in the past, how many had mental issues and were not treated. Adam Lanza for instance, mental issues yet mom had him around guns.
Not a gun issue in my opinion. More people are killed in auto accidents each day than are killed in 6 months by active shooters.

Also need harsher sentences for criminals and get rid of the country club atmosphere in the jails. They are there for a reason.

Rant over

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I thoroughly disapprove of Trump's new push to ban bump stocks, the way the bill is worded is to ban "any modifications that make a semi automatic firearm fire at a higher rate" and that is absolutely terrifying. Bump stocks (which I think are gimminky and basically useless) would be the first thing on that list, but they could easily include drop in triggers, adjustable gas blocks, lightweight buffer assemblies, and a host of other harmless "attachments" that really don't solve the problem. And this slope is a very steep and slippery slope that any gun owner should be able to see does not have a happy ending, cause there's no way they would stop at that. Then we'd have federal regulation on mag capacity, pistol grips, detachable magazines, compensators/flash hiders, optics, amount of ammo one could have, and ultimately banning guns. And if they ever got that far there'd be a a second revolutionary war, no one wants that.
Also why are we letting children that eat Tide pods try to say what Americans need or don't need? If someone doesn't have the common sense not to eat laundry detergent why on Earth would that have the common sense to say anything about the safety of the public.
I believe the sign that says "no weapons allowed" saved one life in that school that day, the shooter.

·
Registered
99 Posts
From a Kiwi perspective DONT EVER GIVE UP YOUR GUNS! Dont let fools and there weak arguments with crocodile tears convince you that giving up YOUR protection and YOUR rights will solve this issue.

·
Registered
99 Posts
According to the ATA, there are over 5 million AR15's in the US, based on those numbers how many of them were used to commit murders?
I would be willing to bet that more people die from talking, texting and surfing the web while driving in any one day compared to ten years of AR ownership.
I propose we ban all cellphones.
More people die from wrong prescriptions and medical 'accidents'. Literally insanity for anyone to claim they are caring about 'lives' or 'the children'. If deaths truly mattered fatty foods, alcohol and cigarettes should be more illegal than an AR15.

·
Registered
51 Posts
For what it's worth I'm a school principal in Memphis, I've received numerous emergency response trainings, and I'm also a gun owner with a carry permit.

Banning guns would definitely reduce the problem severely. Whether or not we like it, it would help. But, as we've seen with previous attempts to change current laws that won't happen.

None of the systems I've worked for are truly working to prevent them from occurring. Sad part with the drills is that they are what caused so much loss of life in Columbine. Run, hide, fight is the recommended response to an active shooter. Most schools drill hiding, making students sitting ducks. We do monthly fire drills but haven't lost a child to a fire since the 60's Nation wide.

Updated drills, more drills, updated entry points, metal detectors, armed admin (not teachers), security guards, door jams, etc would all help.

Some are affordable, some are not. But schools districts are more concerned with liability vs saving lives. Their motto is "as long as you have a plan"....doesn't matter if it works bc a plan covers their backside.

My point, hold school systems accountable.

·
Registered
97 Posts
"In 2014, 652,639 legal induced abortions were reported to CDC from 49 reporting areas."

"Some 13,286 people were killed in the US by firearms in 2015"

Liberals want to take away our guns to "protect" children. Yet in 2014, 652,639 babies were aborted. I heard an argument that roughly said "let's rename schools 'uteruses' and maybe republicans will care about the children dying inside of them", and i had to sit back and really think about how ignorant the left can be sometimes. How can they say they care about the lives of these children when hundreds of thousands of babies are aborted every year, which is supported by the left. Pure ignorance these days.

I say take down the 'gun free zone' signs and arm the teachers. I'd like to see that pansy b!tch try and shoot 17 kids when shot are being returned at him.

·
Registered
51 Posts
So let's take the high road here.....
A common argument I keep hearing is that crazy people are the problem, not guns....

Re: We have thousands of kids that are identified as emotionally disturbed, bi-polar, etc. We also have countless others that are unidentified. In addition, who even knows if the teacher is stable? Crazy folks + GUNS = bad combo

Also, why is it that guards and orderlies don't carry guns? These guys/gals deal with the most extreme cases our society has to offer. All of these extreme cases started out in a school somewhere. Not saying admin or someone outside classrooms shouldn't carry, but not teachers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You assume all teachers would even want to carry. Most won't even consider it where I live. There is already a major teaching shortage in America, so firing them wouldn't work either.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You assume all teachers would even want to carry. Most won't even consider it where I live. There is already a major teaching shortage in America, so firing them wouldn't work either.
Fair thinking. Maybe not teachers but armed personnel should be present in all schools. Sad that we have to arm our schools but it is the world we live in.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
I don't think we need armed teachers .... just because it would create to much of a possibility that it could be lost/stolen, or used by a student. (ie. locked in desk) teachers need to teach. I think the back ground checks should incorporate some sort of mental health check, and/or we need more resource officers in the schools. if you think about it daycares have to have so many teachers per student number so why cant resource officers be the same blank amount of officers per blank amount of student. the gun control that people want to implement will only hurt law abiding citizens..... and a ban wont solve anything unless you ban and take peoples guns ..... and that will not happen

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
absolutely .... not only would it increase jobs but also police relations. if we can get children interaction with law enforcement form a young age maybe it will change the negative outlook that a lot of kids have about law officers .... I mean I know they are mostly good and just doing there job to keep me safe but how many homes is that not what kids are being taught

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
South Dakota is among the lowest salary states for teachers... If the state can't even afford to pay the teachers a decent wage how can the state justify funding a full time position for a security guard or a former vet.

Also the vet idea is great but and please dont get this wrong for any of you that may be vets but I have very close friends and another co-worker that are vets and all suffer from undiagnosed PTSD. They swear like crazy, most have an alcohol problem of some sort, most have an anti-government mentality now. How well do you think they would adapt to their environment being surrounded by annoying chit head kids lol

That being said I am all for putting a vet or former military person in a school to protect kids. I just dont know how well itll work given the extremely small percentage of schools that have incidents.

I think the states need to put more money into their school systems and making school safer for the kids

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
does the school pay the resource officer or are they paid by police or sheriffs dept. the ones in my schools are paid by their depts

1 - 20 of 54 Posts