BowFishing Country banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yup, I am new and trying to make an educated decision on a bow.

First, Looking for a bow and I see many of them have a 40# max.
I will simply ask if this is enough?

Second- Constant draw or let-off?

Third- AMS or Muzzy?

Fourth - Which bow.... PSE Mudd Dawg, AMS Swampit, Bear Cruzer, Sucker Punch (without the Hybrid reel) ....Others? Trying to keep the whole package south of $400

Most of my fishing is in 5 foot or less of water.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
1. Yes
2,3,4 are all loaded questions and are personal preference

me personally let off and muzzy

i have a sucker punch and its a good bow but don't get the reel its sucks

·
Registered
10 Posts
from my experience, 40# draw weight is plenty, i personally like just a little bit of let off but i recommend you shooting both to find which you like which if you purchased the cajun sucker punch (around $300) it comes set up with constant draw modules on the cams and another set of modules to allow for let off and you can change in the matter of seconds without a press, as far as reels go i have shot spinner and bottle and i recommend a spinner reel.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Amsugg, Loaded questions, perhaps, but looking for educated opinions so please throw yours out here.. Will take not shots at anyone for an opinion. Thanks :D

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
I did but ill go into more detail

i have a osprey with 80% left off and a cajun sucker punch as my backup with the let off module's both have muzzy. also try searching this forum there are a bunch of threads on muzzy vs ams with loads of good info

·
Registered
858 Posts
40 is way more than enough.
No let off is easier to shoot, easier snap shooting, shoots harder etc. However some people like let off, have no idea way...
Spinner everyday and twice on Sunday's. AMS, I just can't wrap my head around why someone would use them.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Yep 40 is plenty for most conditions and areas. If you shoot deep water up north at big fish then I like 50 -55 bUT isn't need for 90% of the country. I like let off bit constant draw does shoot harder at lower draw weights.
As far as muzzy or ams. If you are a weekend shooter and want something to last then go with the ams, if you plan on getting into tournaments and shooting a lot then the muzzy. 4th I personally would go with the sucker punch, isn't a bad bow and shoots well but I admit I havnt shot the other bows you mentioned and havnt shot a compound bow in a few years. I lI've my lever bows

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
For just getting started an ams is fine (almost nothing to break, don't have to worry about the reel not being in free spool before shooting) I just swapped over to a muzzy and have shot it a little bit (so far so good). Just don't be afraid to shoot and miss, I had a friend wanting to go and he bought a fully rigged bow, went once, shot and missed about a half dozen times and got mad and sold the bow the next day.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just don't be afraid to shoot and miss, I had a friend wanting to go and he bought a fully rigged bow, went once, shot and missed about a half dozen times and got mad and sold the bow the next day.
Have not shot enough yet. My son gets all the shots as dad holds the spotlight, (this is cool for me though) Will not be afraid to shoot and miss plenty. Like most things, it's a learned skill! :laugh:

·
Registered
357 Posts
So many options. Personally I shot a 40lb ams fish hawk for 3 years. Up to 3' of watter and 10lb fish most of the time and it worked great. But during the buff spawn lots of 20lb fish with up to a 50 or two and shooting 6ft deep it didn't do very well. Also the pounds of draw don't matter it's the fps that counts. I had a mission craze @ 30 in draw and at 40lb it shot 120fps, @70lb it shot 135fps. I bet some lever bows can get 135fps with 40lb limbs. My personal setup is a swampit with ams turnament and a must is the shoot through rod for the ams real.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
A $hit ton of fish have been shot with 30lb discovery 2 bows, I've filled the barrel a few times even in cold cali water during the spawn. Personally I'd prefer a bow that could be cranked up in necessary.

Muzzy for life. Literally second to non.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I am with you on a bow that can be cranked up for sure. I came from up North clear deep shooting and most shots were 4 or deeper most of the year i shot 50-70 when i moved down to TN not only turned down to 35# when shooting most gar I had to half draw so not to punch through them. I don't think there was a handful of times I would have needed to half draw up north good luck

Muzzy has always perform well for me

but all those other question as with reel is what will work best for your type of fishing good luck. trying different things has always been the fun part for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts