BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any insight on this,
I have a 13 year old son who has Cerebral Palsy. He is fully cognitive, but does have some physical issues. He cannot stand independently, but could if we had a strapping system, but he can also sit. He has some upper body strength issues, (doubt he could pull a bow very well. So my question is this.
Have any of you bowfished with anyone in a similar situation? Do you have pics of what you used for the person to sit or stand in the boat?
We are looking at possible cross bow solutions for shooting. Do you have any suggestions? My thought was the lighter and easier functioning the better? Then what reel goes with this?

I realize this may be a bit TMI for some, but it is a simple reality of his and our lives, he is a great and tough little dude, and the more outdoor opportunities we can give the better off we all are.

Thanks for any help,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
Where abouts are you from ???? Hopefully or maybe someone will be close to you and can try a dry run off the boat in the yard, we did that with buddies kid when was younger pulling cardboard stingrays across the yard for him to shoot while on the deck.....I know that have a retriever mount for crossbow but never used one and not sure of legality in all states either....

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Hey Jeff I think I Can help you out, I help run a non-profit organization called Hunt for Life. I would love to make this happen for you and your son. If there is a will there is a way. I will send you a PM with more information.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Ive never personally done this but Ive seen people just use a tripod for holding the crossbow while they sat down in their wheel chair. They used one of those trigger sticks so someone could adjust it for them quickly. Know they make an AMS mount for crossbows and imagine something could be rigged up for a muzzy. Definitely gotta be careful and make sure the button is pushed with a muzzy on a crossbow though!! Let us know how it goes for you and like how you are getting him out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses so fast! I am hoping to get either a different boat or figure a way to rig mine. He gets around pretty well so he is not as involved as some but I do know we have a few hurdles to jump.
Again thanks and for info so far!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
This is my idea, Mount a 2" tube in the middle of the boat, make it however tall you think it needs to be. Attach a elbow to it extending out to around the edge of the boat. Then at the end attach a rope with a swivel at the top and bottom. Then attach a harness. For the bow I would think a low poundage crossbow would be the best idea. You may have to reload it for him but all he had to do is aim and pull the trigger. Hope this helps you out.

handi.jpg handi2.jpg

·
Registered
347 Posts
Didn't realize you were the one who posted this haywood! Try talking to John Laska since you live close to him and could probably make it work with his boat pretty well.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you wanted to go with a seat, this is what I would do....

https://www.amazon.com/Millennium-Treestands-G100-Blind-Chair/dp/B00HEQOTV4/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1469649487&sr=1-1&keywords=millenium+ground+blind+chair
\ View attachment 203354

If you look at the underside picture you will see it has hole mounts for a boat pedestal mount.

View attachment 203362

He would be super comfy with this setup and a lot less cumbersome :D
OHHH VERY COOL!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is my idea, Mount a 2" tube in the middle of the boat, make it however tall you think it needs to be. Attach a elbow to it extending out to around the edge of the boat. Then at the end attach a rope with a swivel at the top and bottom. Then attach a harness. For the bow I would think a low poundage crossbow would be the best idea. You may have to reload it for him but all he had to do is aim and pull the trigger. Hope this helps you out.

View attachment 203322 View attachment 203330
Cool and great pic! Although is the counsel reversed? Haa!!
Great idea though!

·
Registered
968 Posts
No matter how you set it up I would make sure that his chair is not attached to the boat. I hope that this works out for him because I know that he will love it! post some fish pics after you get set up!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No matter how you set it up I would make sure that his chair is not attached to the boat. I hope that this works out for him because I know that he will love it! post some fish pics after you get set up!
Yes, his chair would not even come in the boat.
Once I get something going I will send pics!
Here is one from yesterday. His first bass, with a little help from Dad! He was pretty pumped!
Dans bass.jpg

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Awesome dude, let us know what we can do to help.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Yes, his chair would not even come in the boat.
Once I get something going I will send pics!
Here is one from yesterday. His first bass, with a little help from Dad! He was pretty pumped!
That is awesome! I love to see kids enjoying the outdoors.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
That's awesome!! He'll be hooked now for sure, if yall are ever in central nc hit me up and we'll figure out something to try and get him on some fish

1 - 20 of 26 Posts