BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you keep on hand? I just switched to Muzzys from the AMS bottles .I think im really going to like this, Just wondering if its necessary to keep a spare on hand?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I think you should carry a spare. Never know what may happen.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I always have 1 on my bow and 2 back ups on the boat just in case. Never had to use them all fortunately.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I always keep a spare!! I'm hard on stuff. Also keep extra parts on hand.. pick up pins, main shaft and handle shaft. Just in case.
CD

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Yeah I have 10 plus. Mostly because I pick one up here or there. Always have two spares ready to go on the boat and one in the truck. Lot easier replacing pickup pins at home and not gonna let a reel cut my night short

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Twice since 2009 I have more or less broke a reel. Once due to slides, once due to stupidly yanking a clearly stuck arrow. Could have kept fishing both times, but was pretty much beat each time and called it a day. I truly don't understand how some of you guys bust reels like you do. Remind me to never let any of you drive my boat or vehicle...I say one backup is enough.

On a related note, I broke an arrow off on the shot ttb for the first time ever a couple days back. I guess it is called the "mystery knot"? My 200ff wrapped around the string serving when the arrow let fly. I missed the fish thankfully and there was about 14" of 200ff left on the arrow when I pulled it out of the mud. I had not retied since probably last September, and I bowfished sporadically into December last season. Anyway, brady is right - it does break. I always expected that eventually that would happen when it was windy, but it wasn't really windy at the time. Just seemed like a regular shot with a "pluck". The 200ff dug into my serving a bit but the string looks intact.

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
I think I have 6 or 7 now. I rarely have issues but it's nice to always have more than needed. I got 9 ams retrievers as well.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I truly don't understand how some of you guys bust reels like you do. Remind me to never let any of you drive my boat or vehicle...I say one backup is enough.
STINGRAYS----That is how. haha I work the piss out of the drag system on my reels and end up replacing gears a few times a year. all depends on how hard you are on them and the fish u shoot. don't have the luxury of free spooling rays most times as they can empty the line on a reel in a solid 2 sec. ask me how I know. lol I typically run them down with the kicker motor inorder to keep line on the reel.

OP, atleast one back up is a good idea.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I have 1 backup and have only ever needed it twice! And I'm not careful with them. I've bent the reel handle over itself and just bent it back, I've yet to break a shear pin in any of them and I've been shooting then for 3 years now

1 - 20 of 41 Posts