BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we are talking about how many states you have bowfished in, lets talk about how many species of fish you have taken. Legal species for the state you were in, no reptiles gentlemen!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Dang this is gonna be tough think last time I counted I was closing in on 40 species, common carp (+mirror carp), grass carp, Silver carp, gold fish, koi, channel cats, flathead cats, bullhead cat, blue cat, gizzard shad, American shad, white sucker, Redhorse sucker, smallmouth buffs, large mouth buffs, quillback, carpsucker. Spotted gar, shortnose gar, longnose gar, gator gar, atlantic stingray, southern stingray, cownose ray(+pie bald cownose), bowfin, northern snakehead, freshwater drum, redfish, black drum, sheepshead, mullet, needlefish, rudd, golden shinner, creek chub, bluegill. That's what I can think of off the top of my head even though I know I probably forgot 1 or 2. I know I got bigheads, spoon bill, talpia and armored catfish to finish off my basic bucket list then a few exotics (bullseye snakehead, mayan chichlids oscars and a few other south florida invasiveinvasives ) some more saltwater species like shark and cobia and special places like out west where you can shoot salmon and pike.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
After reading that I dont even want to admit mine...Common, Big mouth buffalo, Long nose gar, short nose gar, drum, sucker, silver, big head, bullhead, grassie and northern pike. So 11... But I have only shot in SD, SW MN and Illinois

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Delawareriver, I think you win again, unless Mark Land gets on here, LOL! I'm at 35 species, and it gets tough to find new ones after you have taken most of the usual suspects. I gotta get a Flathead cat, and I would like to get a few more shark species and some pelagic saltwater stuff. Gonna need a charter for that though, not in the budget right now!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
carp, gar, catfish, shad, quilback, dogfish, sucker, goldfish, sheephead, bullhead, and buffalo so 11

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
carp, gar, catfish, shad, quilback, dogfish, sucker, goldfish, sheephead, bullhead, and buffalo so 11
And #12 is the wiliest and most dangerous known to man and lives 100yds down the street.....JK and ribbing you on that, but if you ever get out east during summer give me a holler and can see about getting you rays and snakeheads on your list, the offer still open to you...

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
Off our boat, gar,Carp, suckers, channel cats, blue cats,goldfish,snakeheads,grass carp,cownose rays,southern rays,needlefish, pufferfish,tilapia is pretty much about it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Carp, buffs, suckers, red horse, dogfish, bullheads, quilbacks(including high fins and carp suckers), short and long nose gar, shiners, gizzard shad, mooneyes, sheepshead. Shot at and missed a grassy, a goldfish and an eelpout.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
And #12 is the wiliest and most dangerous known to man and lives 100yds down the street.....JK and ribbing you on that, but if you ever get out east during summer give me a holler and can see about getting you rays and snakeheads on your list, the offer still open to you...
lol actually 110 miles from my mom's house where I'm at most of the time in the country I can only handle the city in limited amounts lol but trust me I haven't forgot I want to shoot rays so bad hopefully we can make that happen in the next couple years and if you ever get up to saginaw bay in the spring or summer I'll take you out on the funky chipmunk

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
lol actually 110 miles from my mom's house where I'm at most of the time in the country I can only handle the city in limited amounts lol but trust me I haven't forgot I want to shoot rays so bad hopefully we can make that happen in the next couple years and if you ever get up to saginaw bay in the spring or summer I'll take you out on the funky chipmunk
Actually my dad used to live in Royal Oak Michigan and actually used to shoot carp in the 50's on Saginaw bay out of an Old Town canoe... Used a hand wrap reel setup and and recurve bought from Fred Bears shop. He still has the bow and setup, would be cool to use that up there in Saginaw bay and keep the tradition going

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
This is the thing that makes me jealous, in Cali I can't shoot any species worth eating. We technically have 5 we can legally shoot.

I'm at 5. Commons, Crucians, Suckers, Norther Pike Minnow and my only Koi. I've got a lot of work to do.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Actually my dad used to live in Royal Oak Michigan and actually used to shoot carp in the 50's on Saginaw bay out of an Old Town canoe... Used a hand wrap reel setup and and recurve bought from Fred Bears shop. He still has the bow and setup, would be cool to use that up there in Saginaw bay and keep the tradition going
we could make that happen

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
My list isn't that great, carp, buffalo, black bullheads and yellow bullheads, suckers, redhorse suckers, dogfish, and sheepshead. Only 8

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dang this is gonna be tough think last time I counted I was closing in on 40 species, common carp (+mirror carp), grass carp, Silver carp, gold fish, koi, channel cats, flathead cats, bullhead cat, blue cat, gizzard shad, American shad, white sucker, Redhorse sucker, smallmouth buffs, large mouth buffs, quillback, carpsucker. Spotted gar, shortnose gar, longnose gar, gator gar, atlantic stingray, southern stingray, cownose ray(+pie bald cownose), bowfin, northern snakehead, freshwater drum, redfish, black drum, sheepshead, mullet, needlefish, rudd, golden shinner, creek chub, bluegill. That's what I can think of off the top of my head even though I know I probably forgot 1 or 2. I know I got bigheads, spoon bill, talpia and armored catfish to finish off my basic bucket list then a few exotics (bullseye snakehead, mayan chichlids oscars and a few other south florida invasiveinvasives ) some more saltwater species like shark and cobia and special places like out west where you can shoot salmon and pike.
This is a beyond impressive list. Almost has me wondering if some of the ones missing that I can legally fish for, have more to do with them being hard/impossible because of fish habit than because of not having had the opportunity.

I have common carp checked off on my list so far. This fall/winter I plan to make sure to check off kokanee salmon and pike.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
This is a beyond impressive list. Almost has me wondering if some of the ones missing that I can legally fish for, have more to do with them being hard/impossible because of fish habit than because of not having had the opportunity.

I have common carp checked off on my list so far. This fall/winter I plan to make sure to check off kokanee salmon and pike.
To be honest out of all the species I've shot none of them were hard to find if you do the research with what waters to fish , where and when to find them. I've just been lucky to be able to travel to some of the best bodies of water toq bowfish in the country but any one with the time, a boat and a little drive to go explore new waters can do it. Most of the best waters have cheap lodging, gas is cheap at the moment, and pack a cooler with food that you would eat if you were on the road or at home and really it does not cost all that much. I highly recommend anyone wanting to travel to fish new states and species to take the jump and go for it. It isn't all that hard, sure you might not find big fish or a ton of fish all the time but I really have never had a hard time finding fish to shoot.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts