BowFishing Country banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just stripped the paint off my 1960, Im wanting to just have bare aluminum, however the aluminum underneath is real dull and discolored, short of spending 648 hours polishing the aluminum with a buffer, is ther any other way to make it look more uniform and shiny?

I am not going for the mirror look at ALL, just want it to look decent. If the only way is to spend forever polishing and wiping the black gunk off then ill paint it.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I don't know what its called but there is something you can wash your boat down with and then buff it out... I went a diffrent direction on my bare hull mud boat a few years back... I used a flap (tiger) disk on my grinder and put a pattern in on my hull... it looks pretty uniform and really made the boat blind on the trailer... I will see if I can dig up a pic for you...

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Take it from someone who would know from trial and error...

Try using an orbital sander if you don't have a high volume air compressor. If you do have a monster compressor, grab a DA (dual action) sander and enjoy. This is about the only thing I can think of that won't remove a ton of material like a flapdisk, and will give you a nice flat, even, uniform finish.

Plus you can play with the different grit pads to achieve the exact finish you want-from dull, to brushed, to almost shiny.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Try alumabright or alumabrite. Not sure on the spelling.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
May have to try the Orbital sander, see if I cant make it look decent, right now it looks like crap, if I cant get it to look good i guess ill just paint it black and get some decals to offset the color a bit.. not a huge fan of all black boats

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
May have to try the Orbital sander, see if I cant make it look decent, right now it looks like crap, if I cant get it to look good i guess ill just paint it black and get some decals to offset the color a bit.. not a huge fan of all black boats
Then paint it red, or a different color than Black....

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
The orbital sander will do it. Start with some rougher grits at first though, because you aren't removing much material. Post before and after pics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts