BowFishing Country banner

How To Choose the Right Generator? *Explained*

278 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  ILbowfisher15 
#1 ·
Mods, I'm attempting to make a sticky for the new generator sub-forum so if anyone has any additional information on the topic please feel free to add...

This question gets asked a lot on here so I figured I would try and explain what you need to do when determining what size generator you will need for your rig.

I have tried to make this as simple and easy to use as possible. There is a step by step walk through with an example setup at the end of my write-up.

Step 1. Determine what all your generator will be powering.

-This includes lights, converters, or any other electrical equipment (such as an AC powered radio, etc.)

Step 2. Calculate your total watt usage for your specific setup, remember to include all of the items your generator will be powering.

-Formula: (number of lights x wattage of light) + (number of converters x converter wattage) + (any additional equipment watts powered by generator) = total watts

-Note: This is a general formula, if you are only running lights off of your generator then you only need use to light portion of the formula.

Step 3. Calculate the total number of amps used in your specific setup.

-Formula: (light wattage x number of lights) = total light wattage / light voltage = Amps for lights

-Note: After figuring your light amperage you will need to add any additional amps such as a converter.

Step 4. Choosing a generator.

-You can now use these numbers to choose a generator that falls within your specific wattage and amperage needs.

-Note: It is a rule of thumb to only use 80% of the generator's working watt load. So for instance if I'm using a 3500/4000w generator then 80% of 3500w is 2800w. Therefore you do not want to exceed a 2800w load on the generator.

Ok now for an example to go off of. This uses all of the formulas as stated above; all you have to do is plug in the numbers which reflect your own setup.

Example: I run (7) 300w Halos and a 55amp Powermax converter in my boat.

So first I figure my total watt usage for both the lights and converter.
Using the formula from STEP 2 I take (7 x 300w) + (1 x ~750w) = ~2850w. So my total watt usage is approximately 2850w.

Now I need to figure out my total amp draw for the lights and converter.
Using the formula from STEP3 I take (300w x 7) = 2100w / 120v = 17.5a + ~13a = 30.5a. So my total amp draw is 30.5a.

Based off of these numbers I selected a Champion 3500/4000w generator. Now remember 80% of 3500w is 2800w. My setup is pulling 2850w when the converter is maxed out, which is only 82%. This is still an acceptable percentage and is nothing to be worried about.

As far as Amps are concerned I run all of the lights (17.5a) off the 30a RV receptacle and the converter (~13a) off of a 20a receptacle.

Sorry for the lengthy write-up, but I tried to break it down and explain everything as much as possible

I hope this helps some you when figuring out your light/ generator setups, I know I could have used it when starting out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.