BowFishing Country banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally starting to make the switch to HPS lights. My current setup has been 8 500w halos and a super noisy generator. Just recently purchased a new honda eu3000 that I will be using for the new setup. I'd like to run 8 150w from econolight. Now from what I've read on here its the 9x9's that have the caps already built in correct? Also how is everyone mounting them? Do they come with mounting brackets or do I have to make them?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
First off, welcome to the site! Secondly the answer is yes, the 9x9s have the caps in them already. If you get the 6x9s you save some $ if you put your own caps in it. You can buy them from capicitorkings website. Finally I'd like to add that if you're only going to try to run 8 off a 3000w inverter you've got a lot more generator than you need. You could get by with a 2000w inverter and save some money. Unless you plan on running more lights in the future or run converters for your trolling motor.

·
Premium Member
7,657 Posts
First off, welcome to the site! Secondly the answer is yes, the 9x9s have the caps in them already. If you get the 6x9s you save some $ if you put your own caps in it. You can buy them from capicitorkings website. Finally I'd like to add that if you're only going to try to run 8 off a 3000w inverter you've got a lot more generator than you need. You could get by with a 2000w inverter and save some money. Unless you plan on running more lights in the future or run converters for your trolling motor.
And the EU 3000 is more than twice the weight and cost of (2) EU2000, but is one of the quietist generators out there

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome thanks for the help. And yeah I know I went overkill on the genny but I get them around $500 off through work. Plus I run a fan on the nights with no wind to keep bugs off and that pulls around 900w. Also do you know if they come with those metal brackets I see everyone using with the econolights or is that something I order separately?

·
Registered
90 Posts
They come with only the knockel joint that is meant hang them in a stationary situation. It will not hold up on a boat. You can fabricate U-brackets and drill and bolt them to it. I am in the process of installing some on my boat. I am mount them flush to 1/8 in aluminum plate.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
The brackets that come with the lights are not designed for a bowfishing application and will more than likely break. Go to your local shop and get some U's bent or get some big L brackets and drill holes in the sides of your lights and bolt them on that way. i've used the same lights on the last two boats and they're still going strong even after being beat through waves, Kicked and trailered down rough roads. I wouldn't even try the stock mounting brackets..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. One last question, does it matter if I mount them with the bulb vertical or horizontal? I see them mounted both ways just wondering if there was a difference.

·
Registered
478 Posts
If you haven't ordered the housings yet, I'd recommend considering some 400w housings. You would only need (4) 400w housings vs (8) 150 watters to get the same amount of light (actually more: 16k lumens for 150w HPS vs 51k lumens). There are several folks out there that will sell you some sweet custom aluminum housings that will withstand the abuse seen in this application.

This is the setup I run, so I guess I'm biased too! :D

Those econolights are made to hang stationary and never move... I"m sure they've held up for some guys on here, but before you put your money on the line, it might be something to consider.

Also, fewer lights means less to go wrong (ballast fail, bulb burn out, glass shatter, wiring connection to come loose, etc.). Not to mention the 400w are over 3 times brighter.

Either way you'll love the HPS -- its a world of difference between halos!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Go Horizontal otherwise you get weird lines from the reflectors in the lights(you get the same lines when they're horizontal but the lines are WAY less noticeable imo). The reflectors can be rotated inside the light also.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
ran my 9x9 150w vertical and you can put alum flashing on the inside or paint the reflectors white and the lines go away... but IMHO these lights are a waste of money... I ran them for 6 years so don't get me wrong they work but I switched to 400w HPS/MH this year and good gravy they are so much better... well worth the 165.00 they cost and I just used 4 and get more coverage than my 8 150w did...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I took it out this weekend with the 8 150w's and wasn't too impressed over the halos. The quiet generator was worth it though. Where can I get the 400w lights yall are talking about? I'd like to mount 2 up front.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Got mine from ShowMe Bowfishing Customs. Google will find his website.

There are some other nice fabbers whose work is on here though. All the one's i've seen look to be plenty stout for the purpose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts