BowFishing Country banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gentlemen... has anyone tried any of the LED cob lights designed for retrofitting in an HPS fixture? i've found, supposedly, true 2200k LED bulbs that screw into the HPS fixture. I'm not finding any videos or posts anywhere on how close these bulbs are to the HPS bulbs, however. 150hps equivalent is only 36 watts which leaves me a bit skeptical.

that being the case, after the ballast is removed, could one just as easily put in a higher wattage LED? if the light color is the same, i see a lot of potential advantages.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's an interesting idea. I dont think there would be any issue with removing the ballast and using one of the 125W bulbs, but they are a bit pricey at $225 a piece.

The problem i do see with using the LED bulbs is that HPS housings waste so much lights. Half of it ends up in the sky or somewhere else it is unusable. Its not as much of a problem with a HPS bulb since it is putting out 40000+ Lumens, but the LED bulbs will only be putting out 17000 or so.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
We use them at the sign shop where I work. No ballast needed, and are decently bright. I have not seen a HPS version, just MH color. But these things are huge and probably would not fit in a custom housing. Also they are super expensive.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's an interesting idea. I dont think there would be any issue with removing the ballast and using one of the 125W bulbs, but they are a bit pricey at $225 a piece.

The problem i do see with using the LED bulbs is that HPS housings waste so much lights. Half of it ends up in the sky or somewhere else it is unusable. Its not as much of a problem with a HPS bulb since it is putting out 40000+ Lumens, but the LED bulbs will only be putting out 17000 or so.
Sure yeah, I had wondered that myself, about the lumens. I called that seller and asked them about, they said one major thing to consider is that the led bulbs are directional, which makes up for a lot of the difference in lumen output. There’s no light being wasted down towards the socket, for example.

He also said comparing straight lumens of LEDs to HPS on paper isn’t necessarily comparing apples to apples. I think I’m gonna buy one and try it

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We use them at the sign shop where I work. No ballast needed, and are decently bright. I have not seen a HPS version, just MH color. But these things are huge and probably would not fit in a custom housing. Also they are super expensive.
That’s exactly what the rep told me on the phone

·
Registered
121 Posts
Lotta reasons to use LED, biggest reason not to use them is the color temperature. Solve that, and it opens of lots of possibilities.
I use Led lights. But not anything like that. Look at the lumens then compare to the led flood lights you can get. There is no comparison. You get more light per watt and $ using fluids floods and not the cob retro bulb

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, latest update for me is that the cob retro bulbs are so big they wont fit in the hps housings i have anyway. all for not, i suppose.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I have wanted to do this before because I have 8 - 250w and it requires me to use 2 200w champion generators. I would like to make 4 of them LED and keep 4 HPS and use one generator. I am OCD about things matching so I refuse to have 4 hps housings and 4 leds haha.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Has anyone tried this since first posted? I have LED Cobb lights hanging in my garage and they are bright as ****. I believe they are about $40.00 per bulb and I bought them right from Menards but they are your usual 5000k Daylight in color. I considered using an HPS Housing with No Ballast but just running twice as many of them. I think this is a an idea worth trying but i thought i"d check one more time that someone else hasn't found the results yet. I even considered tinting the HPS housing glass with the yellow film.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Has anyone tried this since first posted? I have LED Cobb lights hanging in my garage and they are bright as ****. I believe they are about $40.00 per bulb and I bought them right from Menards but they are your usual 5000k Daylight in color. I considered using an HPS Housing with No Ballast but just running twice as many of them. I think this is a an idea worth trying but i thought i"d check one more time that someone else hasn't found the results yet. I even considered tinting the HPS housing glass with the yellow film.
its probably more of a color of light issue since cobbs have changed a lot since og post

1 - 13 of 13 Posts