BowFishing Country banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all, I need to smelt and cast some lead. Turns out lead is very difficult to come by in California, hippies are ruining my DIY projects.

Pm me if ya have some for sale or trade.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Can probably get you some but shipping likely be a little bit across country, am good friends with a guy down street that owns a tackle shop and melts lead and casts his own sinkers......if want to see if can get anyone closer but pm me Gary and can see what can do for you

What you DIY'ng ????

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
What mud said go to your local tire shop. I have some lead roof vents laying in the shad. Don't know what it would cost to ship them to you but your more than welcome to have some. I might have old decoy weights still in the basement from when I used to duck hunt they are already melted down and in strips.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get it off tires, wheel weight or go to gun range!
I used to get lead at gun range to make weights for duck decoys.
Lead wheel weight have been illegal for years here. I didn't know that till a few days ago.

The epa has made it difficult, it's illegal for a business to get away scrap lead.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can probably get you some but shipping likely be a little bit across country, am good friends with a guy down street that owns a tackle shop and melts lead and casts his own sinkers......if want to see if can get anyone closer but pm me Gary and can see what can do for you

What you DIY'ng ????
It's a secret. But if it works I'll send ya one.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My lead pot will be here friday. I may be reduced to buying some shot and melting it down.

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
My lead pot will be here friday. I may be reduced to buying some shot and melting it down.
Surprised you can even get that in Cali....but can get you lead if you really need it

·
Registered
462 Posts
Lead is going to get hard to find everywhere someday, I'm afraid. I cast bullets and will never have enough. It's being phased out of tire weights. You can buy it off ebay for as little as about a dollar a pound sometimes and you really get your money's worth with those flat-rate shipping boxes! Roto-Metals has the best prices for virgin alloy if you feel so inclined and often runs sales.

Don't know what you're doing, but pure lead will be soft and be more difficult to get good fill-out if you're casting and it matters. Clip-on wheel weights are a pretty easy casting alloy and are a good compromise and are even heat-treatable if you need them harder. Keep an eye out for pewter at yard sales, etc. as it can be used to increase the tin/antimony content of lead alloys if needed. Lead shot contains arsenic, though I'm not sure it would pose much of a threat. Car batteries are alloyed with calcium and marine batteries are alloyed with cadmium and should be avoided. You may also consider using zinc if it may be easier to find. Don't get zinc in your lead! If you have any questions about lead melting or smelting, feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lead is going to get hard to find everywhere someday, I'm afraid. I cast bullets and will never have enough. It's being phased out of tire weights. You can buy it off ebay for as little as about a dollar a pound sometimes and you really get your money's worth with those flat-rate shipping boxes! Roto-Metals has the best prices for virgin alloy if you feel so inclined and often runs sales.

Don't know what you're doing, but pure lead will be soft and be more difficult to get good fill-out if you're casting and it matters. Clip-on wheel weights are a pretty easy casting alloy and are a good compromise and are even heat-treatable if you need them harder. Keep an eye out for pewter at yard sales, etc. as it can be used to increase the tin/antimony content of lead alloys if needed. Lead shot contains arsenic, though I'm not sure it would pose much of a threat. Car batteries are alloyed with calcium and marine batteries are alloyed with cadmium and should be avoided. You may also consider using zinc if it may be easier to find. Don't get zinc in your lead! If you have any questions about lead melting or smelting, feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it.
I appreciate that, I picked up a Lee 7/8 slug mold at a yard sale some time back. I would like to add a few hundred slug rounds to my ammo cache.

For what I'm trying to do I don't think soft lead will be an issue.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Surprised you can even get that in Cali....but can get you lead if you really need it
Thanks buddy, if I can't find some locally or by other means I'll be hitting you up.

I'd tell you guys what I'm doing, but if it fails I'll look like a D-bag and you'll treat me like Sagebrush.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have a ton of 1lb sinkers we use for snagging. I could throw some in a flat rate box and send them your way. I won't be home until Monday but pm me your address and if you still need them and ill throw some in the mail

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a ton of 1lb sinkers we use for snagging. I could throw some in a flat rate box and send them your way. I won't be home until Monday but pm me your address and if you still need them and ill throw some in the mail
I'll pay the shipping, pm coming.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Blackbeard is hooking me up, much appreciated sir.

This is why I prefer the Forum as opposed to Facebook groups. There is a sense of community on a forum, people actually help each other out.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Blackbeard is hooking me up, much appreciated sir.

This is why I prefer the Forum as opposed to Facebook groups. There is a sense of community on a forum, people actually help each other out.
Not a problem. I'll text you when I get them on the way.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I was gonna say tear open a battery, but it sounds like that's not a good idea...lol.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts