BowFishing Country banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Needs to be only one. But it needs to be in the middle, more centrally located, like western Kentucky.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
There are those of us in "the North" that have been firm BAA supporters for years and have tried to promote the BAA. As of last year, I organized/help organize 4 BAA sanctioned tournaments. I keep hearing "step up" when referring to the people in the North, but it's hard to get people to join when the tournament is in the Gulf coast almost every year. I'm just now recovered from divorce so that I'll be at the events, but most people can't travel 12 hrs to shoot. We supported the WI bid, but there's not enough of us to EVER outvote the bids of the South. Not a fight here, just a lot of you have experienced a BAA Worlds and saw how cool it was and the importance of the BAA overall. Stepping it up isn't about votes, it's about promoting bowfishing and getting people on board. How many of you actually put on a shoot or bring on new people. I know a lot of you do because I read about it all the time, but a lot of you just click a button and vote to have tournaments in your back yard. Bowfishing in the north and south are two different ballgames. I think we just need to mix it up. I journeyed to the Muzzy in 2009 and met some of you guys and had fun even though I didn't "compete" because I was clueless of the lake, and I'll be there again for the Worlds. As mentioned above, if you want the BAA to grow, you have to reach out to all the prospective members in the North. I know people that think the BAA is south-oriented, south-focused and that's why they don't support it, but I don't think that way. I just think we need to work together to bring it into the national organization, not north vs. south, east, or west. I support bowfishing and the BAA-that's the bottom line. I don't have a big boat or a lot of money, but I'll make every major shoot there is at least once to experience it and to put faces to names. I hold a couple really good shoots in Indiana each year if you'd like to come up and experience them. My 2 cents fellas

·
Registered
504 Posts
What about acctually having a tournament called north and south shootout where have a shoot up north and one down south. .then top ten( or any number you choose) out of each automatically get entered in to the Worlds. then have the Worlds on uncommone ground for both in the middle somewhere .

·
Aimlow
983 Posts
Stepping it up isn't about votes, it's about promoting bowfishing and getting people on board. ...As mentioned above, if you want the BAA to grow, you have to reach out to all the prospective members in the North.
I'll add my two cents to yours...and take it all a step further. IF the goals are to #1 promote bowfishing, and #2 grow the BAA, then look to other avenues besides shoots and competitions. To me, shoots are the focus of the BAA, but the very real fact is that BY FAR most folks that bowfish do NOT enter shoots. There are FAR, FAR more people shooting casually off the bank, out of little boats, in road ditches, etc. for a few weekends a year to maybe lots of weekends a year. I understand that when looking at the general population of this site and for sure the membership of BAA...the majority very well may shoot several competitions each year. But that simply does not hold true for "bowfishermen" across the country (or world for that matter). The number of people that casually bowfish is exploding and is why the big box stores keep increasing the number of items and volume of equipment carried each year.

Keep focusing on shoots and all you do is essentially recirculate the same bowfishermen. You gain some and loose some each year, but generally you are not reaching out to new blood. Broaden the thought process to include all these folks that have come to love our sport over the last few years, in large part to the fact that bigheads and silvers are everywhere in the midwest, and you will have what is missing from the BAA.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I agree with you Robin. Since I started my HBC shoots seven years ago, there has been a HUGE boom in all the shooters you mentioned. These people make the local shoots, but probably won't every shoot a tournament like the worlds whether they are intimidated by big airboats, don't have the setup, or just don't have the money. I bring these people in thanks to the support of all my great sponsors (I "bothered" you a time or two..lol) every year. I try to get them to join the BAA but we live in a "what can they do for me" society. I explain what the BAA does and sponsors, but it's hard to convince them because they've never seen anything from them, except the certificates I give out. How to reach these people as potential BAA members is what we need to figure out. The ideas of BAA regional shoots is a way for the BAA to use the organization of individual's (like myself)tournaments to communicate/talk to the gathered bowfisherman. My shoots bring in the majority of the bowfisherman in north central Indiana, and likewise, I'm sure most shoots in all areas do the same. BAA reps attending these events with some sort of informational packet or presentation might be an idea. Judd Hill is the Indiana state rep and he attends at least one of my shoots each year, but nothing against him because he's a great guy, but you wouldn't know he's the state rep. Now, if he were to say a few words, have a handout, or even gave out some hats or stickers- anything to acknowledge the BAA and inform/educate them on the organization then I think that would make a difference. I know I have brought some new members over the years, but I also know there are a lot more that would join if they were more informed. As mentioned, I am willing to allow the promotion of the BAA at any of my shoots and will do all that I can to help the organization.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I have wondered exactly that for as long as I knew there was a shoot called "world championship".
There are already a bunch of sizable events that are sanctioned by the BAA. Even with there being no qualifications to enter only 50 boats give or take ante up to shoot it. The reason turn out is so low is because most people don't have nuts enough to shoot in it because they know they'll be competing against the best of the best.

·
Mr. Bandage
5,115 Posts
I will put it this way, you go to a worlds and there are only 12 teams, guess what that will be the hardest 11 teams to ever beat....

·
Registered
13,949 Posts
If its a World shoot,it needs to be moved around........I mean moved around,like out west!!!!There are some salty shooters out here(I am not one)that aint going to Georgia to shoot....its not a World shoot if its not fair,that only a few States are close enough to go

·
Mr. Bandage
5,115 Posts
Get people to VOTE it there. I dont care if we only have one, but I was thinking about getting more people into the BAA.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
If its a World shoot,it needs to be moved around........I mean moved around,like out west!!!!There are some salty shooters out here(I am not one)that aint going to Georgia to shoot....its not a World shoot if its not fair,that only a few States are close enough to go
That don't stop the best from shooting the world championship held in Vegas every year. If people actually want to compete then they'll go where the competition is at.

·
Registered
13,949 Posts
Bragging rights. It's never about the money.
yea, well if ya have to sit on the curb,cause ya lost your house to tell people what a bad azz ya are thats called N***** rich!!LOL!!

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
yea, well if ya have to sit on the curb,cause ya lost your house to tell people what a bad azz ya are thats called N***** rich!!LOL!!
Tell me about it. Everyone has to pick their own battles. Putting a good team together and not having them bail adds to the problem. If I was rich I wouldn't miss one. But I'm not and it may be a few years before I'll be able to shoot another if then. You got to pay to play tho that's one thing that wont ever change weather it's fairly local or big time.

·
Administrator
10,570 Posts
Tell me about it. Everyone has to pick their own battles. Putting a good team together and not having them bail adds to the problem. If I was rich I wouldn't miss one. But I'm not and it may be a few years before I'll be able to shoot another if then. You got to pay to play tho that's one thing that wont ever change weather it's fairly local or big time.

Yeah it seems to be that way even out here, with our Clear Lake shoot, between two guys, with fuel, lodging, food, and tourney fees, etc, damn near $1,000. GOnna be tough this year with gas prices already over $4 per gallon in my area

·
Registered
13,949 Posts
Yeah it seems to be that way even out here, with our Clear Lake shoot, between two guys, with fuel, lodging, food, and tourney fees, etc, damn near $1,000. GOnna be tough this year with gas prices already over $4 per gallon in my area
yea,no kidding!

Casey,you are right,but..........is it not unfair that some guys have it within two states of them every year?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Yep I've been around $1,000 out of pocket on more than one occasion. I spent almost $800 just to scout a tourney and wasn't able to compete on the account of engine trouble the first 1/2 hour after the shoot started. Good thing for them because we were fixing to clean their plow lol.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts