BowFishing Country banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never used sights on my recurve and can put the arrow pretty much exactly where I want with it. It is a bear black bear shot from shelf - it does not have centershot, so the arrow has to flex around the riser.

The LFM I got a couple months back was real easy to tune for perfect centershot with white bare shafts. I have it set about 35 lb peak, 25 holding. Spinner, epoxy rest, slicks, RH. Perfect bare shaft, with the string on and it got a little nock low, so I raised the nock point another little bit and it shoots a real straight arrow, much more perfect than the recurve w/o centershot.

The problem is, it does not shoot where my eyes tell me it should. From the beginning I have had this trouble and I thought I would adjust to it, but have not as yet. Shooting from a picnic bench looking down at target 12 feet away, I look at the mark and loose and it groups off to the left. Driving me a little nuts because I shot my recurve again the other day and it felt great putting arrows right where I want them.

Yesterday I took a old red laser sight laying around here and fitted it to the bow on the back side of the riser in the berger hole. I draw and look at the mark, activate pressure switch and it is dang close to where I am looking - within an inch of where my eyes and brain tell me the arrow should go. I loose and the arrow impacts 4-5" left. Perfectly straight, "no splash", but left. Over and over and over. I did not try at longer ranges yet, so I don't know if it gets worse.

So...how do I convince my eyes and brain that the arrow will go more to the left without using sights? I guess I could try to adjust the laser sight to meet the POI and then try to retrain my brain with that? The LFM has a very cutout riser, and I wonder if it is just too much space after years of shooting the recurve?

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have had this problem with a few bows, try moving rest closer to the riser, just slightly, as long as your still getn decent arrow flight it will put u right on target..also u may not be anchoring the same with both bows, lining your eye up on the wrong side of the string throwing your shot off!

·
Most banned BFC member
3,084 Posts
Your thinkin about it to hard. Draw and shoot. Draw and shoot. Stop thinkin about it. Like flickin a booger

·
Registered
532 Posts
Just fling arrows and youll get it dont think about a thing draw back and shoot draw back and shoot just make it feel natural and just look where you want to hit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't know if this makes sense or not but I think from shooting instinct off shelf on your recurve you have trained yourself for the discrepancies of shooting off the shelf. Now that ur shooting a bow that's tuned more precisely your mind is expecting it to carry the same flight as your recurve. I believe you will have to retrain yourself for the tuned bow or detune(?) ur bow to make ot hit where you expect it to

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Change you let-off moduals and you will see a difference. Go as low of a let-off as you can it will be more like your recurve.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the ideas.

I have it set 40% (#10) which is the lowest I have. On the bow scale it breaks over at 35 and holds at 25 and feels really good. I may get a long module at some point but I like the stop it comes to if I overdraw an inch or so.

I did okay last night, and really okay shooting on fish for the last three trips. I did hit the first fish I shot at with this bow (it was also my first shot over lights) the first trip with it. That a was good sign. Overall it has been a slow start though each night...a lot of misses until I figure the sight picture and start hitting every other fish or so. Whereas with the recurve, just look and shoot. Shooting in the yard on bales it was really noticeable that my shots wander a bit with the oneida because I am fighting for a sight picture, and then putting that pistol laser on confirmed that the bow groups well when pointed at the same place.

I definitely don't think there is any problem with the bow. I'm just so accustomed to shooting the recurve. Shooting my brothers little discovery 2 LH, I have no problem, since I had no muscle memory from that side. I just squeeze my right eye shut, and it did not take me long to figure where to hold it to hit the mark.

I didn't really want one of the older oneidas w/o centershot because I wanted a real clean tune and of course the modules. Maybe moving the rest...I think I'm better off leaving it perfect and eventually learning the sight picture. Just seems like a lot of space.

I guess it will just take more reps and maybe 12 packs.

Oh btw - I tried the laser last night on fish and that was the joke I thought it would be. I didn't tell my brother I had it on the bow. He was on the back deck, me on the front driving, and the lights on the front/sides. I just turned the red laser on for a split second after I was drawn and shot. Close miss. He swore to me that there was a fish in the cove with a red arrow sticking out of it! Didn't I see it?! How did I not see it?! :laugh: Then a couple minutes later after I told him he was drunk already, that same fish showed up again! What are the odds! Man he got all indignant about me not seeing it! And I got many expletives after he figured it out. So, the laser was fun but I don't recall if I hit a single fish using it. I had hit some without it though and eventually took it off completely. I do want to get a bright bow light though with a pressure switch, because the laser was useful just for pointing stuff out.

He did get back at me for the practical joke...from now on I let him shoot first.
DSCF3912.jpg

·
Registered
720 Posts
Move jt in a little, i have to adjust my custom stick bows n bowfishin bows to shoot the same so i dont have 2 change years of repition shooting to the same dpot

·
String Twister
3,691 Posts
Exactly why I can't switch between an Osprey (no centershot) to a Black Eagle (lots of centershot,lol)... completely different sight picture! I'd have the lefts/rights all day/night. I gap shoot,so I use the point as a reference of aim in relation to the target...that's why it matters.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Exactly why I can't switch between an Osprey (no centershot) to a Black Eagle (lots of centershot,lol)... completely different sight picture! I'd have the lefts/rights all day/night. I gap shoot,so I use the point as a reference of aim in relation to the target...that's why it matters.

Good luck!
no freaking wonder i cant hit crap with my angler, i have been shooting a BE for 3 years. never crossed my mind as to why it felt so weird shooting a osprey or a angler.

·
String Twister
3,691 Posts
no freaking wonder i cant hit crap with my angler, i have been shooting a BE for 3 years. never crossed my mind as to why it felt so weird shooting a osprey or a angler.
I never really noticed it shooting rolling gar since we're just slingin' arrows at a splash for a hope and a prayer,BUT shooting at dink weed gar swimming away or facing towards me,I'd shoot left/right/left/right, if I happen to grab a different bow,such as the Osprey since my #1 bow was a BE. I have now switched completely to Ospreys. (and it doesn't affect me shooting my Kodiak Magnum recurves either) ;)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man I had no idea the osprey does not have centershot...I assumed all the oneidas after the LFM had it.

I plan to use both bows so I will just have to tough it out and get used to it..maybe move the rest in just a little.

recurve1.jpg
LFM1.jpg

·
String Twister
3,691 Posts
Man I had no idea the osprey does not have centershot...I assumed all the oneidas after the LFM had it.

I plan to use both bows so I will just have to tough it out and get used to it..maybe move the rest in just a little.

View attachment 29396
View attachment 29397
There's still a few early prototype LFM's floating around out there that does NOT have centershot. ;)

The production models all had centershot,similar to AF,Strike Eagles,and Phantoms at the time.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm glad to say I think I got this problem licked. I am now hitting where I think I should be with the lite force magnum.

What I did was to start shooting 3 fingers under the eye on the oneida. I had read about a bunch of you guys shooting that way last year. I figured a totally different release would force my hand eye mind to retrain. It felt really strange at first but eventually it became natural enough that when I draw that bow my fingers go under the arrow on the string and my index finger comes back to about an inch under my eye. At first it was very hard because it feels...well, frankly kinda dangerous, holding that high on my face.

My recurve I shoot it just as I did before, 1 over 2 under anchor on the corner of the mouth. Other than realizing how much hand shock I get from it, it still works as great as ever.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
i have a short draw length 261/2 inches so i can get away with puting my arrow rest out front of the riser i try to go out as far as possible it helped some to hit where you look.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts