BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I may have found a good deal on a clean little boat. it's not as big as I was looking for though. I wanted a 1860, this one is a 16 footer. my bowfishing partner and I are both around 250 lbs and whatever a generator and gear weighs would be thrown on top. should I hold out for the 1860 or jump on this one?

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/4967192282.html

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'd say hold out on a bigger boat. You could probably make do with that boat but I don't think you would be satisfied with it imo.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Everyone on here is going to tell ya to hold out. Odviously bigger is more stable and increases displacement, but it's no necessarily a necessity.

We fished 3 out of a 1656 for a few years without issue, have since upgraded to a 1866. It's more stable but we're White Ninjas with excellent balance, so keep that in mind.

That's a nice boat, I think it could be converted into a sweet rig.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Called the number and some guy picked up and said "I don't know who sanchez is, but if he put the right number he would have a sold boat"

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tracked down the owner. hoping to look at it tonight. should I shy away from it if it was a salt water boat? his location makes me believe it was most likely living in salt and brackish water.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Salt isn't any kind of big deal as long as he has maintained everything. Pretty much all of the boats around here have ventured into the bays.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
pitting and crossion is what you look for. if it shows signs of being eat up then pass. salt is harder on the motor, trialer and stuff in the boat than it is on a hull. unless stored tied to a pier somewhere. i fished my family of 5 out of a 1648. it can be done with a little thinking ahead.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I had almost the same boat as my first bowfishing boat. I hated it. The v nose doesn't hold near as much weigh as a straight flatbottom. Ifn it were me I'd hold out for a straight flatbottom. Just my two cents

·
Registered
41 Posts
i have a 1656 and it works well for me. yea it can be alittle bit tighter when you have two big guys on the front but there honestly is nothing wrong with it. but that boat is somewhat similar to mine and you will be fine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had almost the same boat as my first bowfishing boat. I hated it. The v nose doesn't hold near as much weigh as a straight flatbottom. Ifn it were me I'd hold out for a straight flatbottom. Just my two cents
damn...it keeps shrinking too. 1754. 1993 model but the motor is a 1986. he says it idles, but won't go past 3k. he used it in brackish rivers in his area. on the phone he said 3k. NADA puts it around 2,500 which seems extremely low... will a 1754 hold 500 lbs up front+deck and equipment?

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
damn...it keeps shrinking too. 1754. 1993 model but the motor is a 1986. he says it idles, but won't go past 3k. he used it in brackish rivers in his area. on the phone he said 3k. NADA puts it around 2,500 which seems extremely low... will a 1754 hold 500 lbs up front+deck and equipment?
That's a loaded question, yes it will if you put every little bit of gear as far back as possible, batteries and genny ect.

with 2 guys fishing I've got 500 in the front of my 1644, but I've balanced that out by literally stacking everything else as far back as possible.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's a loaded question, yes it will if you put every little bit of gear as far back as possible, batteries and genny ect.

with 2 guys fishing I've got 500 in the front of my 1644, but I've balanced that out by literally stacking everything else as far back as possible.
stacking far back isn't an issue. i really don't have much to stack though. small ice chest with food/water and uhhhh. a trash can for our victims. my generator is one of the small Honda EU2000 models so there isn't much weight to it. i could lose 30-40 lbs, but that's not likely:laugh:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Mine would do 500# but whoever was on the deck had to be conscious of where they were stepping or I'd take water over the side...if you get it definitely invest in a big automatic bilge pump

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nope, I'm not dealing with that. I'll wait for a bigger boat. i think a 1860 is right up my alley. just gotta wait for the right one to come along.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
stacking far back isn't an issue. i really don't have much to stack though. small ice chest with food/water and uhhhh. a trash can for our victims. my generator is one of the small Honda EU2000 models so there isn't much weight to it. i could lose 30-40 lbs, but that's not likely:laugh:
Batteries?

I have my yamaha2000, 2 batteries, 2 powermaxes and the outboard as far back as possible. That seems to offset the weight of a myself and a second shooter pretty well.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts