BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on here using a jet boat? Using the jet for both main motor and for trolling?

I'm looking to have a new boat built and have seen a few jets during my search but haven't talked to anyone that has ever fished with them.

My dilemma is, electric troller is too slow and sucks in the weeds. Kicker doesn't run shallow enough and sucks in the weeds. I haven't fished much with a pusher fan, but control seems to be an issue on the boats I have fished on, especially with any wind. Airboats are not legal here.

My experience with jet skis has not been good with sand and weeds. I'm assuming there must be a different grate system on these boats that you see jumping sand bars and mowing through weeds.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My buddy has a jet outboard on his boat. It works ok for main power. We sometimes power shoot at no wake speeds but there isn't much control. The issue with trolling with a jet is the jet needs to run at high throttle/rpm to have any type of control when you need to maneuver around structures.. Props and trollers will give you better control.

My next boat will be a jet motor. I like the feeling of being able to go just about anywhere, especially places others can't get to. But will probably use a troller or kicker.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
You really should look into a mud motor kicker. I saw a lot of them at worlds and it’s the answer to your problems. Yes, it will still catch weeds. But you can run it out of water so water depth can be any. You also have the control over the boat like a regular kicker. I think that’s what you need.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any recommendations for builders for a mud kicker? Sounds like that might be worth looking into. Looking for a 2180 Mod V.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
See a lot of people using pro drives

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They sure don't give those pro drives away. To compete with the jet for speed you would have to run a couple of them and then do you just use one when trolling or what am I missing here? How shallow of sand can you run them in? How do they do in the thick matted weeds?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
They sure don't give those pro drives away. To compete with the jet for speed you would have to run a couple of them and then do you just use one when trolling or what am I missing here? How shallow of sand can you run them in? How do they do in the thick matted weeds?
Yeah people literally use them as a kicker motor. You are not looking for top end speed with this set up. The nice thing about prodrives/mud motors is that they are air cooled so you can run them without water so they will still be running when you try to run dry lol

As far as weeds go its still a prop in the water. You will need to clean the prop out once in a while... Its not a fan...

·
Registered
121 Posts
the only way you'll grey any more speed freon them is if the rig your running is over weighted. What I mean is this. A mud motor is designed to run the prop at the engine max rpm to maintain the torque to fight thru the mud. They are not meant for speed at all but for torque. If you can run the mud motor at full rpm regularly, then after you get a load into the boatand take off, if the rpm goes down then it will pick up the slack. Now with that said, yes you'll gain with 2 all the way around but this is the over all on how they theoretically work.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it sounds like there isn't a really good option out there other than an airboat which isn't legal here.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Like I said. There are a lot of guys running prodrive kickers and fan boats in minnesota

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
using a jet motor as a kicker is a bad idea, when running shallow the motor is likely to suck up alot of stuff

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's what I figured so I was surprised when a manufacturer suggested it to me. I've had enough experience with jet's to know what kind of a pain in the ass they can be. I can't believe a "stomp" grate would solve everything.

What kind of speeds can you get out of a mud/surface drive set up on a 2080? I can hit 35 with my current boat and would really like to be in the 45 range. 50 would be ideal.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts