BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all ,

i have been toying with the idea of wiring a joystick to my trolling motor via foot pedal. now this is just a plausibility post and yes i have seen sodak stick i like it but i want something different. I have also tried a sexy stick which didn't work very well because there isn't enough resistance on the electric foot pedal and it flops around. I also am aware of and have co-pilot and while it works fine, i like the idea of having something anybody can use to drive vs just 2 people with the remotes.

idea
JOYSTICK.jpg
obviously left and right would be left and right, was hoping for a POT on the handle for speed but i can't find one that isn't return to center so i was just going to make forward the speed control. and then button on top for on /off
wiring for pedal is as follows

from MK

i have a fairly good understanding of how these things should work but if anybody has a deeper knowledge and can see flaws or issues with this please let me know
thanks

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Lol my design too dumb for ya?

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol my design too dumb for ya?
Nope just didn't want to have to remove my hand for speed, on/off, plus if you ask my wife I over engineer everything so this is par for the course

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Nope just didn't want to have to remove my hand for speed, on/off, plus if you ask my wife I over engineer everything so this is par for the course
If you reach out to Pete Gregoire on Facebook I believe he did this with his troller, kicker and his fan. All on the same joystick

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you reach out to Pete Gregoire on Facebook I believe he did this with his troller, kicker and his fan. All on the same joystick
You are alright i don't care what Tara Jo says about you

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
unfortunately it is only his kicker and fan that are connected to joy stick

so.... scratch previous statement

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
So close lol I have shot with him a few times but we mostly ran the kicker and fan. Wasn’t sure if the troller was connected or not but he would probably know how to do it like you want

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
*Update* good news is the wiring on the foot pedal board is as simple as it looks. i took a 9 volt battery and connected the 5 volt( orange) wire to + and ground (black) to - and then basically ran the V2 foot pedal test procedure and i received a 9 volt reading when i was supposed to. Now i just need to see how that will translates to the joystick and test again

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
*update* joystick Y axis ( up/down) works on the bench like Pot on the pedal circuit board so no issue there. however X axis (left/right) only works in one direction. stay tuned

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
*update* joystick Y axis ( up/down) works on the bench like Pot on the pedal circuit board so no issue there. however X axis (left/right) only works in one direction. stay tuned
If only there was an easier way...

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
*update* I’m an idiot .... but some of you already know that ... in my previous tests i used the wrong pin #7 for left when should have used #5. After doing some other tests I realized my error retested and BOOM!!! All functions work .... now i just need to check resistance to see how or if these 10k pots will cause issues or not. Right now my boat is at the shop getting a deck and HPS lights so once i get it back ill move on to checking the resistance using pedal to control the trolling motor to see what i need to do with the joystick

If only there was an easier way...
Once i figure this out Ill make you one..... so far I have a $20 buck joystick from amazon invested

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
** update** I'm still waiting to get my boat back so I don't have any major updates but i had one other thing that was concerning me that i have resolved. With the current setup in order to make the TM move at any speed the joystick needed to be pushed forward. On a slow night that would suck so i wanted to find a way to lock it in to WOT. the joystick has a push button on the very top only issue is that its a momentary switch(must hold down). So i did some good old googling to see if there was a simple way to convert it to latching (click on/click off). Low and behold i fine a small circuit board that does just that
image9.jpeg
now that i have this i did some testing to figure out how it works and my next problem is that it works on the power side and i need something to work on ground side so back to my buddy google to figure out how to if possible flip a signal from POS to NEG, to my surprise its possible with a simple automotive relay
image6.jpeg
brought one home from work and started putting the pieces together to see if this was gonna work

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
image4.jpeg
image7.jpeg

and it works !!!! the video is the end of the cable that connects to the TM showing the closing of the ground to speed

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Something that’s going to bother me.... on your signature it says “Boyer’s Customs- Daniel Boyer”... his name is Nathan Boyer

Carry on lol

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Dang if I had known my name could've been in your bio I would've built your deck for you lol.
This joystick looks pretty sweet, you might have to make me one for my powerdrive.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Something that’s going to bother me.... on your signature it says “Boyer’s Customs- Daniel Boyer”... his name is Nathan Boyer

Carry on lol
What are you talking about lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts