BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bring my kids with me, this way the wife and I can fish. Iphones only keep their attention for so long. If they fish that make me have to help them. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
That's a biotchslap of truth right there

·
Registered
300 Posts
As soon my 6mo son can stand hes gonna be on my boat with me. I cant wait for all the nights ill get to spend with him on the water. And im hopeing if hes out along, it might get momma more interested in the sport.

·
Super Moderator
7,652 Posts
My buddies kid had a bow set at like 10# and not really able to stick fish but he was up front with bow in hand looking for fish along with us.....

Just a tip, if have young ones on the boat and they tend to fall asleep in the back of the boat or on the floor in the back, just be very careful and aware if running a genny about carbon monoxide collecting in the bottom of the boat, had a story on here a couple years ago about a guy's girlfriend that almost died from that while sleeping in the back of the boat, even though the boat seems open is a real concern to be aware of and don't want anything tragic like that to happen to anyone....

·
Registered
300 Posts
My buddies kid had a bow set at like 10# and not really able to stick fish but he was up front with bow in hand looking for fish along with us.....

Just a tip, if have young ones on the boat and they tend to fall asleep in the back of the boat or on the floor in the back, just be very careful and aware if running a genny about carbon monoxide collecting in the bottom of the boat, had a story on here a couple years ago about a guy's girlfriend that almost died from that while sleeping in the back of the boat, even though the boat seems open is a real concern to be aware of and don't want anything tragic like that to happen to anyone....
Very good advice, and thanks for posting that. Not something most people, including myself, would ever think of.

·
Super Moderator
7,652 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
I wouldn't think so. Mainly gonna affect the people that have genny running at bottom off boat. I got mine on back bench blowing exhaust out the back of boat.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Got a buddy who has two kids (5 and 9 y/o..or something near to that age) that both have a short enough attention span they can barely finish taking a leak and zip up before wetting all surrounding surfaces running to get into something else. When he brings them along we have a multi option approach when on the bank or wading. Step 1: Rod and reel with bobber and chunk of crawler or minnow. Tell them to watch the bobber like normal. This holds their attention for about 30 seconds. Step 2: They're both set up with some cheap handmedown youth bows with spinners. Walk around and shoot at stuff (not each other..this has to be spelled out every 20 minute or so) til they get bored, make sure to keep an eye on that bobber. Step 3: When they get tired of the bows, we got cane poles with little maribou jigs set up. They go jig around stuff, reminded to keep an eye on the bobber on the first rig. Generally one thing or another is getting some action in some way, shape, or form and keeps them occupied. If action is slow, then it's time for moss/mud slinging fight. Until one cries. Then it's back to watch the bobber until it's time to go catch frogs or flip rocks for crawfish, or turn over logs for snakes and lizards farther up the bank. Be creative. Give them a stick and tell them to find a rock and run the end of the stick on it til it's sharp, then go spear something. There's lots of chit to do out by the water. Boat might be a little trickier, but personally haven't had to cross that bridge yet. When the kids are involved we either bankshoot, wade, or kayak.

·
Super Moderator
7,652 Posts
Got a buddy who has two kids (5 and 9 y/o..or something near to that age) that both have a short enough attention span they can barely finish taking a leak and zip up before wetting all surrounding surfaces running to get into something else. When he brings them along we have a multi option approach when on the bank or wading. Step 1: Rod and reel with bobber and chunk of crawler or minnow. Tell them to watch the bobber like normal. This holds their attention for about 30 seconds. Step 2: They're both set up with some cheap handmedown youth bows with spinners. Walk around and shoot at stuff (not each other..this has to be spelled out every 20 minute or so) til they get bored, make sure to keep an eye on that bobber. Step 3: When they get tired of the bows, we got cane poles with little maribou jigs set up. They go jig around stuff, reminded to keep an eye on the bobber on the first rig. Generally one thing or another is getting some action in some way, shape, or form and keeps them occupied. If action is slow, then it's time for moss/mud slinging fight. Until one cries. Then it's back to watch the bobber until it's time to go catch frogs or flip rocks for crawfish, or turn over logs for snakes and lizards farther up the bank. Be creative. Give them a stick and tell them to find a rock and run the end of the stick on it til it's sharp, then go spear something. There's lots of chit to do out by the water. Boat might be a little trickier, but personally haven't had to cross that bridge yet. When the kids are involved we either bankshoot, wade, or kayak.
Some funny chit right there....

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I take my girls out bowfishing regularly, but I can definitely see what kountrymike is saying...
I just make a decision. If I feel like getting away and don't have the patience to mess with them, I leave the girls at the house and enjoy my night. If that's the mood I am in, they end up happier and so am I. Most of the time I enjoy bringing them out and we have a blast. They stay fairly focused but I also have sling shots in the boat for them as well. Kids love shooting at stuff with slingshots, and they have dibs on all the turtles, snakes, nutria rats, coons, etc that are out at night. I get dibs on the fish!!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Oh, and most importantly, if they are tired and ready to go home we do. I don't want them to dread going to the lake and fishing with me.
Good advice there. I'm just waiting for my wife to give me the green flag to take out my 5 year old just us two. She wont let him go unless she goes....yes she is one of those helicopter moms....

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
As soon my 6mo son can stand hes gonna be on my boat with me. I cant wait for all the nights ill get to spend with him on the water. And im hopeing if hes out along, it might get momma more interested in the sport.
You say that lol...

·
Registered
746 Posts
I got both my boys bows(8 & 5). They love to go and I find myself having more fun getting them shots at fish than me. They like to shoot at the fish that I bring into the boat before I lift them over the side. Like said above, when they get tired and ask to go home, we do. The last thing you want to do is put a bad taste in their mouth. Instill a love of in them now and you'll forever have fishing partners!

·
Registered
968 Posts
had a story on here a couple years ago about a guy's girlfriend that almost died from that while sleeping in the back of the boat, even though the boat seems open is a real concern to be aware of and don't want anything tragic like that to happen to anyone....
That was me and my wife. I am thankful that she is OK and I hope that story will stick in enough peoples minds to protect someone. Carbon Monoxide is way more dangerous than we all realize.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
^^^^ That's awesome! I have a pic of my 2 daughters when they were 4 and 2 out white bass fishing during the day and they passed out and took a nap. They still love to fish! I'll see if I can find that pic

1 - 20 of 30 Posts