BowFishing Country banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question about kickers stalking at idle speed while in gear. I absolutely love my 2015 Merc 9.9 4 stroke kicker but I've noticed after fishing for a bit, it wants to stall while in gear at idle speed. Is that due to the plug fouling or just the idle being too low? I turned the idle screw 1/4 turn and it seemed to help a bit, but I don't want to speed up the idle cruise speed of my boat as we like to go as slow as possible. What about changing to a different plug? Maybe a hotter plug or something?

Thx

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Any idea the rpm at idle?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Why don't you just use a troller if you want to go as slow as possible. We are rarely just at idle with our kicker only times we are is fighting in bigger fish, super dirty water or find a pocket just loaded with fish. Other than that we are going fast

·
Registered
462 Posts
If most of its time is spent at low rpm, a hotter plug might be in order. If the plug is fouled, something is off. A slower pitch prop may be something to try if you are looking for slow speed. The prop may be putting too much load on the motor at the rpm's you want to run. As always, make sure the carb's clean.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Does it start right back up?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not using a troller. Yes it starts right back up and then I bring it up to higher idle for 10 seconds and then it runs great for awhile before doing it again.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
try emptying the bowl on the carb. sometimes a drop of water settles in there and the motor will run at higher rpm but when you drop it down it starves because the jets don't pick up water well. I have had similar problems and one time that was it. Might not be it but its a simple thing to try.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Why don't you just use a troller if you want to go as slow as possible. We are rarely just at idle with our kicker only times we are is fighting in bigger fish, super dirty water or find a pocket just loaded with fish. Other than that we are going fast
This is kinda what I was thinking. I rarely, if ever fished at idle speed. The main point of the kicker is to cover shoreline.

But if you must, maybe turn up the idle speed and get a lower pitch prop or maybe a 3 blade. Is it a fuel supply issue? Is the kicker running from a separate tank?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
That's what I was thinking about when I asked if it started right back up. Fuel related. Separate tank, water, or trash.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
This is kinda what I was thinking. I rarely, if ever fished at idle speed. The main point of the kicker is to cover shoreline.

But if you must, maybe turn up the idle speed and get a lower pitch prop or maybe a 3 blade. Is it a fuel supply issue? Is the kicker running from a separate tank?
Correct me if I'm wrong...but on an outboard, if you want lower end push, you go down in pitch...if you go up in pitch you loose that lower end push and gain top end...so if you want to fish slower at idle wouldn't you want to go up in pitch to loose the low end push?

·
Super Moderator
2,372 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong...but on an outboard, if you want lower end push, you go down in pitch...if you go up in pitch you loose that lower end push and gain top end...so if you want to fish slower at idle wouldn't you want to go up in pitch to loose the low end push?

Different scenario. On An outboard, if you needed more low end push, (better hole shot), you would lower pitch and add diameter. This would allow the prop to catch a bit more water, yet still allow the engine to gain RPM's when accelerating. Yet the idle speed would actually drop at any set rpm.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Different scenario. On An outboard, if you needed more low end push, (better hole shot), you would lower pitch and add diameter. This would allow the prop to catch a bit more water, yet still allow the engine to gain RPM's when accelerating. Yet the idle speed would actually drop at any set rpm.
I think what he wants here is a lower pitch prop of the same diameter (possibly smaller). It will not catch more water and will reduce the thrust and load on the engine. It would also work to chuck the prop up in a lathe and reduce the diameter. Less surface area gets less bite. Less bite gives less thrust. That's how the Thai longtails are. The props all have the same pitch; they are just different sizes. You match the size to put the proper load on the engine. Just don't let the engine over-rev on an outboard.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Turn the idle adjust screw in. On my kicker I have it at idle at around 1200rpm. Manual says 900 ish. When I push it high n low fishing the plugs get some build up. On mine anyway. It's a two stroke. Even 4stroke, I'd crank up the idle slightly. Up and down will build up carbon and it'll keep running when I little higher rpm..

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I've adjusted my idle screws on every kicker I've owned except for the one I have now....it's efi...and I love it...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts