BowFishing Country banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get my son out this year with me shooting some fish. He is 10 now and finally passed the swimming lessons . I have looked for some youth bows but haven't found anything that will work for him. He is like dad, right handed by left eye dominate. All the bows I have found that would fit him are right handed only. He is pretty small for his age. Anyone have any good suggestions on a good compound bow that is left handed? Learning to shoot right handed isn't an option, I tried that already.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My son. 8 turning 9 is shooting a Diamond Infinite edge. He's also left eye dominant and shoots a left handed bow. Its totally foreign for me as I'm right eye dominant. But at least I got a shooting buddy that doesn't want to shoot on the same side of the platform as I do.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a Diamond Infinite Edge and a Bear Apprentice 2 that my 8 year old shoots. The Diamond is a nice little light weight bow, but has no where near the punch the Bear has at the same draw weight. The bear is larger and heavier though. I have let him try shooting fish with the Diamond and the arrow will not penetrate. The bear will pass through in shallow water with the same arrow.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I would start with something like the Mission Crazes or the Diamonds. They are crazy adjustable and are available in lefties

·
Registered
900 Posts
X2 on the Radik, in my opinion the best new kids bow on the market just got one for my duaghter, at 3 lbs only one lbs more the then the genisis but adjustable for the years to come. I own several Menice's and Crazes as well from Mission, can't go wrong.

Also she is Right handed and left eye dominant which is true for both my kids. about a month to special order a Radik depending on color, she wanted purple.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Bump
Any new advice since 2019 models?
My nephew is small for his age 11yo and has never shot a bow. I think he is ready to start. I'm still not sure what type of bow or reel to set him up with. RH and right eye dominant. I love oneidas and spinners, but started out way back when with whatever light recurves and kids compounds and drum reels tied to back. At least he won't experience that...
I'm concerned with starting him out with a spinner. At 11 yo he doesn't take direction as well as he did when he was younger...6 years of public school and electronic devices is showing. So, a bottle may be safer and more forgiving.
But I've never seen a compound that shoots glass arrows straight like an oneida naturally does.
Is it pretty much standard nowadays to start a kid out on a little compound and a retriever?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Jason that kid could have a slingshot and a rock and still kill fish. That kid is a killer! Love your videos. My son is 4 and I cant wait to get him out like you did with yours

1 - 16 of 16 Posts