BowFishing Country banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 kids under 8. Neither can pull back over about 15lbs. I know I see alot of people talk about the Genesis and mini Genesis and other low draw weight bows, but how well do they actually perform? I guess I'm asking is it worth the money to buy a low poundage bow they can shoot now, or just wait a couple more years to get them started when they can handle a little more draw weight? I would hate to spend money, get them excited about shooting fish, and then waste the money and dash their hopes when they can't get enough penetration and every fish pulls off before I can get a backup shot in it. Give me your opinions.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My son shoots low poundage and to help with penetration I shortened his arrow for his draw length His arrow hits pretty hard now.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, like on the D2 29#, what is the low end draw weight? All I can find is 29# maxed out and 6 turns out adjustment. What # is it at 6 turns out? If I buy them bows I would rather buy a decent bow like the D2 that they can turn up as they get older and shoot for a long time. I don't wanna spend $60-$100 on one of the "youth bows" that are more like toys. What age and with what bow did you start kids?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Get them 20# D2s. They have PLENTY of punch. You don't want to turn the D2 down very far. As for the genesis, skip it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I got my daughter a Diamond Atomic a couple months ago and we really like it. Not a real expensive bow and hits real hard at lower poundage. My daughter is only 4 so I have to help her shoot it but she loves it. Also had a buddy tell me that Hoyt has come out with a new kids bow that is supposed to be the shiznit. Supposedly retails for around $120 new and is super adjustable for draw weight and draw lengths. I would def look into that one before I got a genesis.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. The more I look at the Genesis the less I like them. Still don't know which direction to take yet though. If they were just a little bigger and could pull around 25# it would be alot simpler. I like the Craze and a couple others that turn down real low, but they are more money than I could spend right now.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Thanks guys. The more I look at the Genesis the less I like them. Still don't know which direction to take yet though. If they were just a little bigger and could pull around 25# it would be alot simpler. I like the Craze and a couple others that turn down real low, but they are more money than I could spend right now.
20# d2. Or you could go 29# if you want more draw weight. More punch than anything else out there at the same draw weight. The d2 is the speed bow of bowfishing, and they are inexpensive. You won't have any problems.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
My buddy's kid started shooting a diamond nuclear ice which worked fine for smaller fish, sink gar, suckers, small commons etc...he moved to a mission menace and got a quite a bit more punch but was able to shoot more weight too. Just a lot smoother bow. He's shooting the diamond atomic now (which I believe replaced the nuclear ice but I'm not up to date on my diamonds) and he's shooting much bigger fish now. I believe his pb is still a 29lb silver. We cut his arrows down too like what was mentioned above.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just want to ask everyone,

My buddy's boy, their weight around 25 lbs and he now 10 year's old

Is it the right time to learn to bow for him? We were just scared about their weight.

Noted this one!
Diamond Atomic a couple

1 - 14 of 14 Posts