BowFishing Country banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im gonna run 8 50w LED off group 27 battery... running about 10' of wire 6 ga... I calculated 2% voltage drop. Is this negligible for the lights? Am I going to damage them and should I use bigger wire? I'd rather just use 6 ga if its ok.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Shouldn't every be able to hurt the lights from low voltage, they just won't work if the voltage is too low

As far as 2% voltage drop
That's bare minimal, you will be fine. Just don't expect much run time with 1 group 27 battery

·
Registered
106 Posts
Shouldn't every be able to hurt the lights from low voltage, they just won't work if the voltage is too low
I didnt think running the lights til my batteries were almost completely dead would hurt them either, but i went through a lot of LED chips last summer. They would start flickering and stop working completely. Not 100% sure that is the reason, but I would recommend a volts gauge and not run the batteries completely dead. I havent had any issues now that i run convertors and a genny.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I didnt think running the lights til my batteries were almost completely dead would hurt them either, but i went through a lot of LED chips last summer. They would start flickering and stop working completely. Not 100% sure that is the reason, but I would recommend a volts gauge and not run the batteries completely dead. I havent had any issues now that i run convertors and a genny.
My leds have been on my boat for 4 or 5 years, and I spend a good amount of time on the water probably more than the average guy and havnt had a chip go bad yet. Now most nights I don't come anywhere close to running dead but weekends and tournaments sometimes. Good quality leds have paid for themselves for sure

·
Registered
13,949 Posts
My leds have been on my boat for 4 or 5 years, and I spend a good amount of time on the water probably more than the average guy and havnt had a chip go bad yet. Now most nights I don't come anywhere close to running dead but weekends and tournaments sometimes. Good quality leds have paid for themselves for sure
x2,I ran the first Chinese 27 watts HARD for two years and have run other Chinese LEDs since and have never had a chip go bad

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
As others said, run a volt gauge. I ran three hours on 10 50W RPM Night Rangers this weekend without my genny because I wanted to talk to my boy without screaming and I quit around 2AM with 10.4V still showing on the gauge. I am running 2 (new) type 29 at 12V because one is also my starting battery. On my old 27W, I think they died around 9V.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
You should try to never let deep cycle batteries get below 11.5v, they last wayyyyyy longer if you never discharge them below 50%

·
Registered
106 Posts
All of the ones that burnt out were Seelites... So im not running junk. Just sharing my experiences.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts