BowFishing Country banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know 50w leds are definitely the most commonly used lights, and were starting to see more and more companies offering 80w and 100w lights now. It seems like generally, the 100w are pretty much double the cost (which makes sense for double the wattage), but im what im wondering is if the 100w are meant to replace 2-50s or replace 1-50w and get more light in the same amount of space.

Im not sure if this makes sense what im trying to ask, but i guess im wondering if it would be any differnce in usable light to have, lets say, 4-100w lights vs 8-50w lights? Or are the 100s meant to serve as a direct replacement for each 50w.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think a single light would cover as much area as two lights
That's my thought process as well, which has me thinking the 100s are meant to be mounted side by side like the 50s. But if the 100s do cover the same area and shine brighter, I'd rather go with those

·
Registered
221 Posts
The 100watt lights a physically bigger that the 50watt. And wattage doent mean coverage. I've shot on a boat that has 6 400watt hps lights. Our boat has more light, more coverage and less wattage. We have 19 50watt leds spread from one end of our 1860 to the other. 347.6° of coverage. Would be 360° but there is an outboard in the way.

·
Administrator
15,645 Posts
I agree. Id rather have 8 50's over 4 100s you just don't get as much coverage. Plus if you lost a light for some reason, the impact wouldn't be as big.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I am willing to bet 19 50w LED around a 18x60 is going to have some dark spots... have you taken a photo from a drone or from a bridge... your not going to see it on the deck but your doing to have holes... my 4- 400w HPS will out cover a boat with 12 50w and they cast farther... also some 100w are the same footprint as some 50w.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Drones and Bruges are farther away from the light, so ya it will show dark spots because the camera is to get away to pick up the stray UV rays. And can to the same thing if you turn the exposure Down or add a tinted lens. And it you cant see a dark spot on the deck then it don't matter because you'll still see the fish.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I can see dark spots in your picture... you may not be able to see it from the deck but I assure you its there... every notice how fish glow out past your lights... same thing... once you see your lights from above on the water you will understand what I am talking about...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts