BowFishing Country banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 10 27 watt 12v/24v LEDs and want to run it on my 3000 watt genny. My question is can I wire the lights together and then wire in a 110 plug from Home Depot to plug in to my generator. Guy at the light store said I can do this but seems easy. Is this wire up ok or do I need a powermax converter?

·
Super Moderator
7,652 Posts
Nope, you have 12/24 DC voltage lights, that need to run off battery power or a power converter that supplies DC voltage to the batteries to keep them charged that plugs into the generator

·
Super Moderator
7,652 Posts
If you did what guy at Home Depot said you would let the magic smoke out of your lights and they would quit working

·
Registered
529 Posts
Guy at the light store should prolly not work around electricity...

If you did what guy at Home Depot said you would let the magic smoke out of your lights and they would quit working
:hb::hb::hb: Can't put the smoke back in once you let it out either. I wish I could figure out how to capture it and sell refill kits. That's my billion dollar idea....

·
Registered
264 Posts
and those 12 volt options usually are low amp to charge a battery not to run lights
I know the Champion 12V out is 8.3A, but it doesn't use a 120V plug. It comes with the battery charging cord.

Regardless you can't just change voltages by swapping out the plug. You will need to use a converter to go from the 120V to 12/24. If you need more help, there a are literally hundreds of threads on how to do this. Just browse the lighting section and you'll find plenty of answers and walk-throughs.

·
Registered
489 Posts
and those 12 volt options usually are low amp to charge a battery not to run lights
Yep. I tried to run my small 12V nav lights off my battery charger outlet (I run with halos). I replaced the nav light bulbs 4 trips in a row! They wouldn't even last a whole trip. I wouldn't dare use it for LEDs. I bought a small motorcycle battery and finished the year without problems.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You will need to get a converter to properly go from 120v to 12v. Most of the people on here are using powermaxx converters. If you are on facebook look for Jacky Davis (the powermaxx guy) he sells them for cost.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts