BowFishing Country banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never shot behind LEDs as it's been awhile since I have bowfished but we use to have a 24ft boat with 12 $9 halogens and shot a lot of fish with no light issues. Heck we even use to just use a spotlight years ago lol. I am just curious how much better these LEDs are for the drastically increase in price. The noise of the loud generator I can understand. That was always the biggest downfall to our old setup. We are looking at rigging our new War Eagle 2372 but when it comes to the light aspect we are kind of clueless. It is a whole new ballgame now lol. Any help would be appreciated. Also don't want to spend a fortune.

·
Premium Member
10,929 Posts
The main reason I went to leds was due to being able to run without a generator or at least down size the generator.

·
Registered
482 Posts
My old setup I had 14 500w halos on the corners had some dark spots. Switched over to 12 50w hps color Leds. Dont have any dark spots and have the same amount of light distance. Biggest thing is noise and saving about 7 gallons of fuel a night. Going from a 7500w genny to a honda 2000..

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have 10 50w leds on my 20/76. Going silent is great. I do run genny at times with a powermax on those long nights. I have vids on youtube if you want to take a look. Keith Ziegler

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I don't see the point of LED... the price is way to much for the amount of lummens you get and you have to run 10 to 12 to get good halo coverage... you would be better off spending that type of money on 4each 400w digital HPS/MH and get 5 times more lummens...

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I have never shot behind LEDs as it's been awhile since I have bowfished but we use to have a 24ft boat with 12 $9 halogens and shot a lot of fish with no light issues. Heck we even use to just use a spotlight years ago lol. I am just curious how much better these LEDs are for the drastically increase in price. The noise of the loud generator I can understand. That was always the biggest downfall to our old setup. We are looking at rigging our new War Eagle 2372 but when it comes to the light aspect we are kind of clueless. It is a whole new ballgame now lol. Any help would be appreciated. Also don't want to spend a fortune.
A fortune means different things to different people.

I'm fortunate to fish of both over both HPS and LED lights and I prefer HPS. Both can be set up fairly inexpensively these days.

If you tell us your budget and the type of water you tyically fish I'm sure someone can chime in with some useful insight.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I personally run a combo of 400s and 50's. I really like the mix which I wasn't sure about at first. don't have to run a huge genny and get the best of both worlds. 2 400's and 8 50's on a 2000 genny

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
What I meant as best over all is if the water is clear and dead calm 5000 Kelvin light is better. The reality is that not the case 90% of the time in the waters I shoot. Slight choppy water, ripples, waves, muddy water and silty water is going to be what I expec. 3000ish Kelvin light spectrum makes fish glow in muddy water. It doesn't light up silt in the water so your eyes can see better in low light. It doesn't reflect bright diamond like glares the surface of the water. If I and on a short run under 4 hours I can run 7 lights on 2 group 31 AGM batteries. If I am going to be out longer than 4 hours I bring a inverter generator{Yamaha 2200} and a 24 Volt voltage converter and can run from dusk to dawn on one tank of gas. I have 2 lights per switch so I can control the how many that are on depending on how many are shooting.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
leds stink.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I ran Leds on my old boat and loved them. Put 12 80watt Seelites on the new boat but wasn't happy with it. Ended up taking them off and switching to 400WATT HPS. I should have made that switch a long time ago. We shot a lot of fish over Leds and at the time I didn't have a complaint against them. After shooting over them for a year now, I am glad I switched.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts