BowFishing Country banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for opinions for longer run time out of my setup. Currently only getting aprx 4.5 hours of battery life. 24v minnkota 80# on two group 27 batteries. generator is a champion 3650w running six 400w hps. I'm considering the following:
1. two new batteries (bigger/group 29/31?)
whats the best battery to run? Seems the prices can get up to $250-$300 each. is it even worth upgrading for $500+? i'd need about 8 hours runtime for this price
2. add a 24v converter
i know the genny can't run all my lights & converter. i was thinking fish 3-4 hours, then shut off 2 lights and plug in the converter. but after talking to powermax today, it seems these converters pull a bit more power than i expected. by my calcs 456w x 4 + 1680w = 3504, close to max on genny and powermax says demand on converter may cause it to trip?

I'm stuck here... anyone running a similar setup? I just switched from a 12v troller with a pm3-55 converter to this 24v, and this battery setup is just not gonna cut it.

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
You are correct in your calculations and as good as 400 watt HPS might be that is the reason instead of running (6) 400 watt HPS lights that can run up to (20+)50 watt LED's lights and still have plenty of light to fish and be able to run your converter to keep troller batteries good for all night,like a lot of is do....

Or get a second 2,000 watt inverter style gennie to just run the converter...

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm running the same set up as you. I did like garp suggested and just bought another generator for the converter. My generator for the converter is a ryobi 2200. It has worked perfectly and I'm running the converter straight to the genny.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've considered adding a second generator, just didn't want to go that route yet. I'd be ok for a little while with 4 lights on the converter late in the night. Or if I could find batteries for a decent price that would give an extra 3+ hours runtime.

LEDs are not an option.. I wish I could, but there's no such thing as clear water in south la, lol.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've considered adding a second generator, just didn't want to go that route yet. I'd be ok for a little while with 4 lights on the converter late in the night. Or if I could find batteries for a decent price that would give an extra 3+ hours runtime.

LEDs are not an option.. I wish I could, but there's no such thing as clear water in south la, lol.
You can get different color LED's now. We actually have different color lenses that we use for different water types. We buy our plexiglass at Lowes and they cut it to our dimensions for free, then we tint it with some inexpensive tint we get on ebay. We found that amber colored tint works well in just about any type of water.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Just wanted to add a few thoughts...I am also running a 80# MinnKota Riptide on (2) group 27 Exide Nautilus batteries and get more than 4.5 hours on a 22' boat. Not sure how long, but I don't ever remember running them down. I have also used Exide Stowaway's from Academy...neither are high dollar batteries, but have worked well.

As far as the LED setup...I have fished South LA and Texas with (8) 50W HPS Seelites on the old boat and (8) 100W HPS Seelites on the new boat. No problem with penetration, but the 400w HPS will have longer throw.

·
Registered
319 Posts
As far as one of the better values in batteries, check out the Duracell AGM battery, 31DTMAGM, at Sam's Club. It sells for $179.99.

1 amp hour rate:68.2
100 amp hour rate:110
20 amp hour rate:105
3 amp hour rate:85
5 amp hour rate:86
6 amp hour rate:87.4
8 amp hour rate:90
Battery Electrolyte Composition:Glass Mat
Battery End Type:Top Post
Battery Purpose:Starting Lighting Instrumentation
BCI Group Size:31
CCA at 0 degrees F:800
Freight Class:65
MCA at 32 degrees F:1000
Minutes at 15 amps:348
Minutes at 25 amps:210
Minutes at 5 amps:1265
Minutes at 50 amps:87.4
Minutes at 75 amps:53
Minutes at 8 amps:706
Polarity:Left Positive
Reserve Capacity:200
Terminal Type:STUD/SAE
Volts:12

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/durace...m/prod3590232.ip?xid=hdr_locator_my-club_4790

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
4.5 hours doesn't seem right... maybe...? I know I got about 7 hours out of a set of group 31 walmart everstart on a minnkota 24v troller... if your running your batteries a long ways from your troller I would look at upgrading your cables... I know when i went to much larger cables my run time got longer...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
4.5 hours doesn't seem right... maybe...? I know I got about 7 hours out of a set of group 31 walmart everstart on a minnkota 24v troller... if your running your batteries a long ways from your troller I would look at upgrading your cables... I know when i went to much larger cables my run time got longer...
I can get a bit more depending on how fast I go or water level. Got about 5.5 hours this weekend with a bit left in it, keeping troller under 50% the entire night.
Cables are 4ga, should be plenty big enough?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
yeah they should be plenty big enough... this seems crazy that you can't get longer than that... maybe your batteries have a dead cell...? I'm no help since I have never ran a converter... when i had 24 system I packed two sets of batteries... I just upgraded to a 36v 112 fortrex and I have yet to drain the batteries on a trip...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts