BowFishing Country banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It wouldn't happen until more than a year from now, and probably only if we try and can't catch them with nets. But next summer we'll be trying to retrieve these fish, which will have been implanted with telemetry tags (actually acoustic, not radio, but I figured radio-tag in the subject line would work better). In addition to the telemetry tags, there will be another tag inside the fish that records data on the fish. I don't get the data unless I get the fish.

Right now, just looking to see if there are some folks out there that shoot at Truman regularly that might help me out. I can't have bows and arrows on a govt. boat, so you'd be shooting off your own vessel, but I could point you where to look for the fish, because the fish will be giving off a signal that I should be able to track.

I cannot compensate you for this, but you might learn something about grass carp behavior in the process, that might be beneficial for your shooting success.

Also, if you shoot Truman, please be on the lookout for tags in grass carp. In each tagged fish, there will be two tags. One of them, the larger one, is the acoustic tag. I want that back too because we can implant it in another fish - but it isn't as important as the smaller, white, tag, which has the data on it. There may or may not be a small plastic floy tag up by the dorsal fin. I'll let you know exactly what color(s) of tag after we have the fish implanted. If there is no floy tag, then the only way you'll be able to tell is because of a scar on the belly of the fish.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Interesting keep us posted we fish down there regularly

·
Registered
453 Posts
We are down there a decent amount and my bro in laws fish for grass carp there all the time. Let me know specifics when your ready and we'll try to help put them in the boat for you.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting keep us posted we fish down there regularly
Great. I will check in from time to time. It should be fun. One thing I know about Asian carp, including grass carp, is that they really learn. If you get one in a gill net, they will know what a gill net is next time, and be one begger to catch the same way twice. That's why I am hoping that bow fishing could put them in the boat. Also why I want some folks that are good at it to help out. I am very good at missing grass carp. I would like to have some hunters help out that stand a better chance than me at getting them in the boat before they get wise.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Garpwacker, I am definitely interested in any fish from the east coast drainages unless from an area where they are being stocked. Even then, if you catch one loaded with eggs like that one in the picture probably is, I would like parts from it. I will talk to Kathy Martin if I can figure out her phone or email. Some states are a lot more supportive than others on this kind of work, and most biologists are just so busy they have to prioritize. Also, we have some new tools now that Kathy might not be aware of. For example, it used to be nearly impossible to determine ploidy (sterility, in this case) without a heparinized blood sample from a live fish. Now, we can get ploidy from the fluid in the eyes, which does not clot like blood does. And furthermore, her agency would not have to come up with funds for the analysis or shipping or anything, really. Sometimes it is hard to get the word out. Anyway, if your local bios will work with me that is probably easiest. If not, I can work directly with you to get the parts I want. Just keep the fish cold, don't freeze, at least don't freeze the eyes or gonads. I am interested in any size grass carp.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey Carptracker..I'm in northern Missouri and we get lots of huge Grassies, Commons, and Bigheads and if there's ever anything you need we would love to help you out any way we can. We also have a spot that is chalked full of Silver Carp (literally hundreds in one small place) if those would do you any good? Hit me up if there's anything we can do for ya! We would also be interested in doing the Truman Lake fish with you whenever you need us!

20140730_203353.jpg
20150604_203909.jpg
20151011_133612.jpg

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, that is a massive grassie! I will contact you in the spring about trying track and recover some tagged grasses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts