BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who has been bowfishing with me for many years but he just had open heart surgery and is now in recovery. Thinking to the near future I am sure that he will not be abe to pull back on a bow for quite some time. I am thinking that maybe a cross bow would help. It would have to be low draw weight cause we fish shallow with our bow set at no more than 40 pounds or the arrows would go too deep in the mud. I have no knowledge or experiances with crossbows. Can anyone help me wirh infor or suggestions on what I would need or if they make a low draw weight cross bow.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
not gonna be much help but i do remember somebody making a set up to put a reel on a crossbow ... i don't remember the company tho ..... is he not gonna be able to pull at all like a kids bow or did you plan on cocking the crossbow for him?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I know for sure ams has a crossbow kit. As far as finding a cross bow that won't bury an arrow... Not sure. i'm not a crossbow guy. But im sure the internet has the answer

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think he will be able to pull back at all for a while so I plan to cock it back for him, I did see the crossbow kit on the internet but I haven't found a crossbow with a low draw weight. Seems like there has to be one out there or a way to adjust one

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I know for sure ams has a crossbow kit. As far as finding a cross bow that won't bury an arrow... Not sure. i'm not a crossbow guy. But im sure the internet has the answer
I had a hunch it was them but i wasn't sure ... i have been looking at pull back stuff and arrow velocity and its making my head hurt its not apples to apples

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
i think we need something in the 150 to 200 fps arrow speed range best i can tell thats a general average for bows with 35-40 lbs draw

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Here is the link to the ams crossbow kit. but if you look on amazon there are a bunch of low weight crossbows around 50lbs that would work i think. I think the crossbow kit can be attached by a picitini rail and this one on amazon has a picitini rail

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I really need 40# or less but if 50# is as low as I can get it might be worth a try. Thank you sodakslayer

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Just to satisfy my curiosity does it say anything about arrow FPS

·
Registered
227 Posts
These are not full crossbows. My friend has one and they are held and shot like a pistol. They shoot a small 8 inch bolt made of aluminum and plastic. It shoots those at 215 fps. I don't think it would have enough power to shoot a legitimate crossbow bolt with a bowfishing point on it.
Here is the link to the ams crossbow kit. but if you look on amazon there are a bunch of low weight crossbows around 50lbs that would work i think. I think the crossbow kit can be attached by a picitini rail and this one on amazon has a picitini rail

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
AMS says in the discussion part of that link for the kit to get lowest poundage possible. dont we have an ams prostaff in here to get a clear answer

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
im bored at work today ill do some emailing and question asking .... ill let you know if i get any definitive responses

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I spoke with Mathew from AMS and he said as long as the xbow has sight mounts or picintini rails the ams kit will work on it

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
im more worried about the poundage stuff then the reel working want to make sure the money spend on xbow isn't in vain

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I also just received word from ams that the xbow listed should work fine as you only need 25-30 pounds to puncture a fish, and most of the xbow forums that have came up say that youth xbows are the best for bow fishing which is in line with sodak's posting so i think thats your best bet OP

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Most of the crossbows I have seen online in the 50 to 80 pound range are postal type which are short. I'm wondering if this would still work with a crossbow fishing arrow which are about two feet long, also the crossbow bowfishing arrows are thicker and heavier, does anyone have knowledge or opinions on this

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I was so looking up postal cross bow🤣🤣🤣

I don’t know if you have an option because of the nock style. I have seen people cut down fiberglass arrows for kids I know you can do that but still the nock is the ??

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have just seen a Viking Kingfish crossbow set up for bowfishing. It has a 110 pound draw weight but I have seen videos on YouTube of guys shooting shallow waters with them. They are currently out of stock every place I looked. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of these?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts