BowFishing Country banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making my 1st trip to the KY and Barkley Dams next Tuesday in search of paddlefish. Id REALLY appreciate any info on how to stick these guys. PM me helpful info and ill be sure to repay the favor should you ever come to northern IL in pursuit of carp.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Stand by the rail at Barkley and shoot them a few feet away. They're the easiest fish to stick. So easy in fact, that the teenagers here can get them:laugh:. They are awkward and not very strong and get pushed up by the current to the surface. You just have to be a little quick sometimes. As long as turbine 1 is on, they will probably be there, especially at night or morning.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How is all this rain impacting the water clarity? I don't want to make the 6.5ht drive for mud

·
Registered
115 Posts
I haven't been to Barkley in a couple of days, but the tailwaters below Barkley were up, prob close to 5' above normal, current a little stronger than normal. Water is stained but fish-able. Most of the rain has stayed to the North, so not affecting it too bad. IMO. Ky dam was a little higher than normal.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yeah, I was there the other day and number 1 was off and the rest were on. 27k current. Terrible fishing. Just a bunch of fleeting glimpses of drum. A few silvers and drum rolling out in the current downstream. No sight of any bigheads or paddlefish. Shot some small drum eating the new fry and shot a few silvers shooting blind where I expected them to be, so they're there, you just can't see them. As for the rain affecting the water clarity, the clarity has been stained all season. Hasn't made much difference. I'm off the next few days, maybe I'll try again, but the weather is supposed to be bad. Though, some of us did stand out in a thunderstorm the other day because the fishing was so good...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts