BowFishing Country banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,260 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Thanks Mud, it won't let my post be viewed for some reason...

But need your help with all you guys that come down for the summer and shoot rays or want to shoot rays and get that species off your bucket list, and the MD Chesapeake area is also special with the opportunity to shoot snakeheads In the Potomac on the same trip, the state is taking open comments from the public and need everyone's help to try to keep this season open....

·
Registered
412 Posts
Comment sent. What a silly idea.

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Why are they entertaining this idea?
It started last year when the tree hugger group Fish F€€L video taped Ray bowfishing at the Va stingray tourney, it went public and we became the poster child to further their cause. They believe fish are sentient beings and have emotion and feel pain, they are against all fishing, any fishing tournaments, trout stocking,catch and release etc,etc..... They started to petition the state with other public backing after getting the video tape out on news and social media of bowfisherman shooting and thumping rays. We have been doing it for years and is no shortage of rays, rays have no natural predators in the bay other than bowfishing,the Rays eat millions of pounds of shellfish every year and watermen hate them, they have no or very little food value but the anti's have been beating the drum hard and steady against us....

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
They should only let people that fish vote on this kind of legislation. See people voting on Wolf hunting that never seen a wolf and don't own land that wolves are on. If you don't like something than don't do it. Good luck I also want to have the opportunity to try bowfishing for those someday soon.

·
Registered
74 Posts
They are claiming a litter of ONE pup per female, per mating season. We all know that's not accurate. I've seen 4 or 5 get discharged.
Hopefully the watermen react. They are our biggest allies.

·
Premium Member
10,929 Posts
email sent
Thanks Mud, it won't let my post be viewed for some reason...

But need your help with all you guys that come down for the summer and shoot rays or want to shoot rays and get that species off your bucket list, and the MD Chesapeake area is also special with the opportunity to shoot snakeheads In the Potomac on the same trip, the state is taking open comments from the public and need everyone's help to try to keep this season open....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Copied from another forum I post to:

comments sent, also copied state senator.

Note DNR comments from the Capital Gazette this spring...

"Frankly, we do not have the data or evidence that the cownose ray is threatened," said DNR's spokesman, Stephen Schatz, in an emailed statement. "The situation is further complicated because they are migratory in nature. Any management action/plan would need to be coordinated across jurisdictional boundaries (coast-wide) to be effective."

The summary provided for public comment is ridiculous. It doesn't even state why this is up for public comment and potential change - just "based on feedback". What feedback? Whose? Scientific feedback? Emotional feedback?

Just another anti-fishing/hunting infringement.... What's next?

Take the time to write.

And I haven't even bow fished rays... but I want to. And I want my kids to...

Brent

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
So they say they only produce one pup, right after saying that when someone shoots a female that the pups (plural) just start falling out? Also that isn't a crossbow in the picture. To top it off they are scared that they're being fished to extinction but "there isn't a fishery for them" meaning that there's not enough being taken to make a difference and that's why there has never been anything done about it. These tree huggers need to spend more time worrying about where their organic gluten free vegetable chips are coming from and leave us bowfishermen alone

·
Premium Member
14,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So they say they only produce one pup, right after saying that when someone shoots a female that the pups (plural) just start falling out? Also that isn't a crossbow in the picture. To top it off they are scared that they're being fished to extinction but "there isn't a fishery for them" meaning that there's not enough being taken to make a difference and that's why there has never been anything done about it. These tree huggers need to spend more time worrying about where their organic gluten free vegetable chips are coming from and leave us bowfishermen alone
LOL who does not like us much already!
Carp:
http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/cag/
:p Mudfish
http://www.bowfinanglers.com/
Gar:
http://www.garfishing.com/garecords.html
Catfish
http://www.ncangler.com/forums/group.php?groupid=4

P.E_T__A

BASS like us!! :wave:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Lol mud they hate bowfishing on nc angler lol I've been on there for years and every time someone posts about bowfishing they get grilled, especially if you mention gar

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Has anyone heard anything more on this?
If click on the link they continued comment period until 1/8/17 I think or somewhere into early January so you still have time to comment on this... Meant to bring it back to top but just heard was extended.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts