BowFishing Country banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently baught a 2008 9.9 it is not a pro kicker and am trying to set up as one. The issue I'm having is that the motor has a tilt lock and it does not disengage the lock when in gear. Bin forward get it will tilt but when it kicks up it catches on one of 5 lock setting is that something I can remove or do I need to on the look out for another motor

·
Registered
314 Posts
Why does it not disengage tilt lock when in gear? Mine does. Isn't there a mechanical rod on the front of the motor that moves when shifted to disengage the lock?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
We ran into same thing with the Yamaha version of the pro kicker. The T8. Wish I had an answer for you. Try not to hit stuff?? Lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes mine has the rod on the front side and when you put it in gear it will kick up but it does not lower back down it has a spring loaded lock that when it does kick up it will lock in five different positions. I'm just wondering what would happen if I took the spring load out of it or cut the pins off so they won't latch in the lock catches.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Have you tried lubing it? I mean lube the holy heck out of every moving part, then exercise it to work it in and lube it again. If you disable the lock down it will climb out of the water in reverse, less stopping power.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Its supposed to do what you describe actually. When you're going forward and hit an object really hard, it'll kick up and catch on a tilt setting. If that happens we just walk back there, pull it up the rest of the way, drop it back down, and it returns to its lowest setting.

You could remove the tilt lock stuff, but then when you use your big motor you wont have a way to keep it up outta the water. I think it would be a very, very bad idea to remove it. Not to mention when you put it in reverse you'll most likely have the motor come flying up outta the water.

Its just the nature of the beast-not much you can do about it, if its what I think you're referring to.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
That's exactly what we found. If you hit something pretty hard it'll still pop up. We've just decided to live with it lol

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
All of the Mercury kickers I've had without tilt/trim would do that...
I'll never own another kicker without tilt/trim

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just wondering why you like tilt trim so much? Not running a kicker yet but it's looking like an appealing option in the near future. I know when I am working an outboard at low speed in the shallow or stumpy stuff I despise tilt/trim as the motor cant tilt up and over the obstruction by itself and just stops me dead.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
You can put a breakaway on it. Kinda like a trim but it's just springs. That way it gives and doesn't break.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
You could make one cheaper but...

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts