BowFishing Country banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the minkota 2 bank 5 amp charger mounted in my boat. If I turn it on while running the trolling motor will it burn anything up?

·
Registered
425 Posts
i think i read about this somewhere and i think it is possible to burn up your troller or the charger. i have done it a few times with mine and didnt have any problems. everyone will tell you to get an iota.

I

·
0 Posts
i think i read about this somewhere and i think it is possible to burn up your troller or the charger. i have done it a few times with mine and didnt have any problems. everyone will tell you to get an iota.
I used a single bank 6 amp min kota charger all the time on my first little boat. But I also had an older trolling motor that did not have any of the fancy crap in them.

With the new technology trolling motors, I would not advise doing it. I have seen several of them burn up switchboards just because of a faulty plug, so I can only imagine what a charger could do to one while its running.

If your feeling like pushing your luck, just make sure you put a surge protector between your genny and charger unless your running an inverter type generator that is "supposed" to be save for sensitive electronics...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, that's what I assumed just wanted to make sure, I'll just run till it dies, pull start the motor and let it charge back during a break for drinks. At least until I get a converter

I

·
0 Posts
another option would be to have a spare battery. You could be charging one while your running your troller off the other. When the troller goes dead, just swap them out....

·
Registered
210 Posts
I usually charge my batteries through the charger while I'm trolling, last week I blew one of the inline fuses to the charger. I did'nt know you could burn up the troller like this, (got a minn kota riptide) thanks for the warning

·
Registered
489 Posts
You won't burn up a trolling motor with a trickle charger. If it was giving it 20 amps per bank, then I could see it happening then. The only think you risk is damaging your charger running it off of a regular generator. This is only a concern if you are using a solid state electronic smart charger. If you want to run this type of charger, make sure you are running it off of an inverter generator that is safe for solid state electronics (computers, etc.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts