BowFishing Country banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Minn Kota Riptide 101. Back in Nov. the control board went out and I replaced it. The TM has ran fine ever since. Over the last few trips out I have noticed that it is possessed. After stowing the TM to run across the lake, I noticed that it turned on by itself. When I twisted the handle to "0" it wouldn't cut off. I had to turn it on and off a couple of time before it would shut down. This has started happening so frequently that I now unplug it every time I stow it so that it doesn't drain the batteries completely down.
Now I have a 2nd problem. Not only is it turning on by itself, it now sometimes doesn't want to turn on when I want it to. This usually starts happening later in the night after fishing for a while. If I turn the motor off for any reason, when I turn it back on to any higher speed, the prop will turn but very slowly. If I steer the motor back and forth from left to right a couple of times, it will usually ramp up to WOT and run fine. It will run fine until I turn it off again and then the same thing happens. I assumed that the control board was going out again but I cant understand why steering back and forth will make it start acting normal unless there is a loose connection or a short somewhere.
I assume the two issues above are being caused by the same problem. I just don't want to start replacing control boards if I don't need to. Any one else had these issues before?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So here is an update. I decided since I had a rebuild kit sitting in the shop, I would take the foot apart and see if I could find any apparent issues. As soon as I pulled the front off I saw that the positive cable was severed in half. I dont know how this thing was even running. Everything else looked like it was in good shape (except for the rust inside of the housing). I repaired the positive lead, cleaned everything up, and put it back together. Plugged it up and the dang thing started running like it was supposed to. Also cut off when it was supposed to. I wont know if this fixed all of the issues until I get it out for a night of fishing but for now it is running correctly. Any idea how this thing was running with a cut positive lead?

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts