BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on my 1st Mississippi duck hunt this past weekend. Me and 3 of my buddies left Greenwood, SC late friday afternoon, not arriving in Mississippi until close to 2am saturday morning. We get everything situated in time for a little nap before time for the 1st hunt. Our first hunt was in flooded timber saw quite a few birds mostly gadwall and mallards but was having trouble getting them to drop into the timber after only shooting one bird we left the timber and went straight on out to a catfish pond where the action picked up quick. We all shot a few birds (mostly shovelers) and i also got my 1st canvasback :hb: (hes in the freezer and will be going to a taxidermist soon)...around 2 pm we left the catfish pond and headed to check out a few more spots for the afternoon...We got permission from a farmer to hunt a field where there were tons of snow geese and specklebelly but left there to check out a few more spots. We went to another catfish pond and got my buddies work truck struck in the mud...and that pretty much finished up our 1st day ( we spent most of the afternoon trying to get the truck out) never got a chance to go get on the geese. The next morning due to time constraints we decided to hunt some catfish ponds again for our last hunt. It was four of us so we split up 2 on one pond and 2 on another pond a little farther down. By 8am we all had our limit and was heading back to load the camper up. We had a great morning birds poured into the ponds all morning and were still coming in as we left. We shot mostly shovelers but one of my buddies did get a gadwall and a greater scaup (the greater was an immature bird so he decided not to get it mounted but what an addition to the bag for the last day of the season) We ended up bringing home 38 ducks (1 canvasback, 1 greater scaup, 1 mallard, 1 gadwall, and 24 shovelers) Not a bad way to end the season.

·
Registered
765 Posts
awsome job guys.. I've got to try and get down that way one year. looks like a blast

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where at in Mississippi? I live in Greenville and know that the fish ponds are somewhere in the delta
around the Moorhead/Indianola area

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
nice... Looks like Austin Jones place? You were within 20 miles of some killer bowfishing spots. Look me up next time your coming

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nice... Looks like Austin Jones place? You were within 20 miles of some killer bowfishing spots. Look me up next time your coming

part of the land we hunted is on a mississippi delta club lease...and we also hunted a few private ponds one of my buddies got us permission to hunt....He went to Mississippi every weekend for the whole season so he made quite a few good contacts out there but i dont recall the name you mentioned....and ill have to do that about the bowfishing always nice to try somewhere new :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Awesome job! We ended up with 30 mallards for the last weekend by far nowhere near our best and a few geese! It killed me to put away all my stuff yesterday but i do have the conservation light goose season to look forward!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts