BowFishing Country banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still very new to this and still in the process of finding some good spots to fish. Living on the Mississippi gives me several options, (which is good!). So I initially thought that the shallow slack water was going to be the ticket, but what I have notices, again still early on, is that if I can find some shallow slack water with some current very close is showing far more fish to be around. This includes, gar, carp and doggies. They seem to hang right on the edge of the current or just into the slack water. Have you more experienced guys seen a similar summer pattern? Just curious.
Thanks
Haywood.

·
Registered
236 Posts
That is where fish like to hang out. Imagine, if you will, sitting on the couch with a buffet line going just in front of you. You exert minimal effort and still get to enjoy lots of food. That's similar to what the fish are doing on that current edge. Fish are usually pretty lazy and the least amount of energy exerted the better. So they will sit there and wait for food do drift into their mouth. Or to get force fed fiberglass.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Being a bass fisherman I have seen this all the time. I guess there is no reason why it should be different for the rough fish. Thanks Trevor

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am still very new to this and still in the process of finding some good spots to fish. Living on the Mississippi gives me several options, (which is good!). So I initially thought that the shallow slack water was going to be the ticket, but what I have notices, again still early on, is that if I can find some shallow slack water with some current very close is showing far more fish to be around. This includes, gar, carp and doggies. They seem to hang right on the edge of the current or just into the slack water. Have you more experienced guys seen a similar summer pattern? Just curious.
Thanks
Haywood.
That's right where us fly fisherman like to hang out, the slack water just downstream of the current, to get the fish who hang out at the slack/current transitions. I've never fly fished for much outside of trout, but I can tell you what you describe is just what us fly fisherman go looking for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts