BowFishing Country banner

441 - 460 of 482 Posts

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #441
Thanks again y'all.

Yup-heading to registration for the Open right now. Haven't got much blood in her yet though....hopefully that turns around for us tonight! Should be interesting how we do-didn't have time to finish the light rails, so we put the bighead tower back on. But as luck would have it the rivers are blown out, so we may have to shoot with the troller and tower...wish us luck..:laugh:

As for the bolts, I'd be beside myself if they work loose. There's thousand of outboards that are bolted to the transom, and they hold tight. I've got lock washers AND red Locktite-torqued down HARD in thick aluminum. I don't see how it'll be possible for em to work loose, but crazier things have happened!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #444
Ya it's nice to be floating, even if it was with just a troller and a big head tower! I've got all of my components for the joystick kicker setup, I just need a few days to get it setup. Oh-and I need some light rails...

As for how the Open went....it was sad...:laugh::headbang::cen::laugh::cen::cen::headbang:!!!!!!!!

All of our eggs went in one basket, and that basket wasn't very full. Not that it matters-those GA boys put on a freakin CLINIC! Plenty of time for redemption though...

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #446
I've got a few pics I can post up, but the status of this turd is that she's up on wood blocks, on the trailer...floor tore up, holes all over....

Between the rediculous heat, then the daily showers that have been going on for a week now, and work, I haven't got the poly removal/repairs complete. I was actually about to go put a few hours into it just now, and it started raining...again..:headbang:

The poly is off, the front 1/3rd of the boat is patched up, but it was a total nightmare pulling the floor and then getting to the bolts in the rear. Honestly I'm so pissed about this poly I can't see straight. BUT, I'm hopeful that this is the answer to my drag and porpoising issues. If so, a few 60+ mph runs should help me forget all of this mess even happened :)

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #448
Since it is indeed raining, I'll take this rare opportunity to post a few pics...

Here's what became of the giant copper bars I gave a glimpse of awhile back. Bus bars-BIG bus bars!

Just prior to the Open I had a few buddies down to try and get as much done as we could before the tourney. My friend Adam built these monsters to handle the current of 4-6 deep cycle batteries tied together, and to pacify another buddy of mine who is also my mechanic. My mechanic friend told me to ditch my current bus bar setup in the rear because he's seen a few go bad due to not being able to handle the high amps. I've had no issues with the store bought bars, but these will obviously handle ANYTHING commonly found on a bowfishing rig, with no drop in current and no overheating issues.

1/4" thick copper plates, insulated with both polyurethane and UHMW poly, 5/16" studs, and 1/4" accessory bolts. I'll post some pics again when I have everything wired up.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #449
Rain snow chit or blow, to da Bass Islands we will go. Get it done so we can make things dead!
Lol...ya ya, we shoulda ventured out there. Prolly wouldn't have been worse than what we trudged through going to Kelleys! Did that other video turn out any better?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #450
Off it goes...

Keep in mind every single hole I drilled had to be flapped down on both the outside (to remove the 5200) and inside. Then I had to cut square 'patches' 1x1" to weld on every hole I could access from the inside. I thought about just welding all of em from the outside, which woulda been 10,000x easier/faster, but in the end the patches were the correct way to do it. I won't bore y'all with the details and pics of this process, but trust me it sucks...

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #451
Still raining....so I'll keep going. Here's something that will prolly only impress the handful of guys that have done the entire rigging system on a boat.

I ordered my gauges and shift/throttle from Livorsi, whom I'm very un-impressed with as far as their knowledge and technical help goes. Long story short, they shipped my shift lever and told me it would have everything I needed to hook it up to my Mercury. Turns out they literally don't know their azz from a hole in the ground (not just on this, but several things). There are adapters I needed to hold my cables in place, and these were not it.

So anyways, being the impatient guy that I am, I looked around and found a way to make it work. I used some 5/8" round stock, ground down a few pan head screws, and after some brainstorming I figgered out how to make an adjustable set of stops for my cables.

It's hard to know unless you've messed around with this shifter, but the tolerances have to be pretty tight to get this to work properly. If there's too much slop it won't shift crispy and the gears will grind in the motor. If it's too tight, the cables won't pivot, causing major stress and cable failure after just a few outings. It took a few tries, but eventually I got it right.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
If im not mistaking they just sent you the wrong cables, looks like you needed first gen cables and they sent you 2nd gen. The first gen cables have the drums crimped onto the cable to hold it into place. The 2nd gen cables do not have drums. I would deff make sure your homemade drums are going to hold up to the pressure. You sure as heck dont want that drum to brake loose while you have it wide open.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #453
If im not mistaking they just sent you the wrong cables, looks like you needed first gen cables and they sent you 2nd gen. The first gen cables have the drums crimped onto the cable to hold it into place. The 2nd gen cables do not have drums. I would deff make sure your homemade drums are going to hold up to the pressure. You sure as heck dont want that drum to brake loose while you have it wide open.
Ya, the Gen1 cables prolly woulda worked, but at the time I didn't realize that. Plus I already had these cables ordered, based on the advise I received. They do actually make an adapter for this lever, which looks very much like mine. I didn't notice the similarity until after I made mine.

I planned on it possibly not working, in which case I woulda either ordered the factory adapter, or different cables, but so far it's held pretty good. I did have to make one adjustment to it, but it was minor. If it slips again I can always bevel the brass sleeve on the cables, or use pointed screws to keep it in place better.

But you're right, it may have been a lot easier with the Gen1 cables to start with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If only you knew how often I refer to your build thread for a few of your ideas on my upcoming build. I will mos def be contacting you for a few pointers when that time comes.

Awesome boat man! It's such a beast

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #456
Thanks! Comments like yours are why I keep going honestly. The fun factor has been long gone on this project! But as long as I know this thread is helping others Ill keep posting up.

I did decide to build an aluminum tank since I had to pull my original one to get to all the holes. It turned out pretty sweet, and Ill be posting pics of that. Ive got the next 3 days off and Im praying I can get this turd patched the rest of the way up, reassemble her, and see if she's ready to behave on the water.

We're getting somewhat close to the end of this project, but the fat lady is just gettin warmed up. More to come...

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm still torn on my build, same boat. Go with smooth top walk around and back or diamonds, I'm making a removable deck and planning on fishing out of it to with the kids. the diamonds look fancier, but are harder to clean. But how is the day time reflection??

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #458
I'm still torn on my build, same boat. Go with smooth top walk around and back or diamonds, I'm making a removable deck and planning on fishing out of it to with the kids. the diamonds look fancier, but are harder to clean. But how is the day time reflection??
I like diamond plate obviously, but it's very shiny at first. After a bit the finish will dull and look like a matte finish. I've never been a fan of smooth finish aluminum for decks. I decent power washer will blast away anything you could want. I try and slosh the boat before it dries-makes a huge difference in cleanup.

Another option is the 5-bar pattern, like Redneck used in their builds. It's dull and would have great traction.

441 - 460 of 482 Posts