BowFishing Country banner

461 - 480 of 482 Posts

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #462
Nah, I got 3/4 of the holes welded up then had to walk away for awhile. I was getting behind on projects around the house, blowing off friends and family; basically getting obsessed with building this thing. Deer season was approaching too, and I hadn't done any prep at all, adding to the frustration. On top of that I've been pretty much stuck with working on it outside, and with the weather getting cooler and the mounting stress of re-building half of the boat, I covered it up last year and haven't messed with it since.

But, it will be completed. I've had some time away from it-which I really needed. My love of this boat had slowly eroded into hate and despise, due to all the setbacks and misfortune. I've realized the poly experiment cost me an additional year of work and pretty much killed my drive to get her on the water.

But I've been getting excited lately about the prospect of finishing what I started 3yrs ago. I've pretty much got all the parts I need minus the lights and wiring. I plan on finishing it up once we get some consistently warmer weather. I've also talked with one of the mods on here and he's agreed to give me my own sticky thread on joystick controlled kickers :)

At any rate, I never did post pics of my gas tank, so I guess I can throw those on here for now. Once the weather stays warm I'll pull the tarps off and finish up the bottom, reassemble everything, and see if she behaves on the water. I'll post pics of the progress, along with a thread on my kicker setup. Maybe I'll shoot a few videos too...we'll see...

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #463
I won't bore y'all to death with pics of how I pieced it together, but I used some leftover diamond plate-a few pieces had 3/4" bends at 90*. I used these on the bottom to add strength by overlapping the material. The rest of the joints were reinforced on the inside with 1/2" angle. Since I was MIG'ing the tank I figured I could use some extra material on the inside to prevent blow throughs. It worked out awesome btw-a ton of extra welding, but it was well worth it knowing the gas tank was indeed bulletproof.

I put a baffle/divider mid tank, and added additional 'wings' on each side to further reduce fuel sloshing around.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #465
If anyone remembers way back, you'll recall me mentioning building a tank from scratch woulda been less work than modifying the original plastic Moeller I began with. So when I commited myself to building a tank from the ground up, I looked at the available components and decided I could build sturdier, stronger fittings as well. Another huge advantage in going full custom was being able to put the gas fill precisely where I needed it, putting in multiple fuel pick ups, and placing the sending unit in the most logical spot.

I started with the vent-utilizing some of the 1" plate left over from the kicker bracket. Cut to size, drilled through, then tapped with a pipe thread to accept a 5/8" tube that slides neatly inside standard vent tubing.

I sent the original sending unit out in the original tank-which I sold-and hung onto the more accurate aftermarket reed switch unit. It was a touch too long, so I decided to kill 2 birds and fab up a 1/2" donut for it to mount to.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #466
Next were the fuel pickups. Since I'm running both a main and a kicker, I needed dual pickups so each motor would get its own uninterrupted supply of gas. This is the most efficient way to plumb a 2 motor setup. There are a few other ways to do it, but this is by far the best option.

Here you can see my aluminum tube pickups, again tapped to accept NPT pipe fittings, held in place with 1/2" donuts that were welded onto the topside of the tank. The white plastic tubing was similar to the Moeller fittings-placed next to mine for comparison.

These aren't the clearest pics, but you can see the final placement of the sending unit, fuel pickups, and vent tube before I welded the top of the tank on.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #467
I'll try and snap a few pics of the finished tank once the lines are all ran-it turned out pretty clean.

Here's some pics of the mounting system. Again, I wanted to try and keep everything bolt-in and removable, so I chopped some thick flat bar, drilled and tapped it for 3/8" bolts, and then welded it inside some extrusion I pulled from the original hull. Then I welded these pieces of extrusion to the ribs, and welded 3/16" tabs on the tank. The result is a super simple, super durable mounting system that's easily removable.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #468
That's all I've got for now, but I'll pop back on here with new pics once I get this pile of turds back together. There's still plenty to show-from the light rails to the kicker rigging to the interior lighting...to be continued...

·
Super Moderator
7,652 Posts
That's all I've got for now, but I'll pop back on here with new pics once I get this pile of turds back together. There's still plenty to show-from the light rails to the kicker rigging to the interior lighting...to be continued...
So more "coming soon" ??? sorry but had to do it.........but looking good and glad to see your making progress again

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Good to have you back on here CC! I missed that ugly a$$ mugshot!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Well, with the UHMW that you're removing you can always use it for topping some bunk boards. I don't remember how thick it was. Maybe it'll be too thin.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #477
I've actually got my middle bunks covered with blue poly strips now-made those last summer. Painted the wood black-looks sharp with the blue :tu:

I'll throw a few lengths down the big bunks as well. I've been finding uses for the stuff here and there.

I'm sure it'll be worth it, but man it sucks not being able to shoot!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
So.... is carpcommander around anymore? I kinda wanna see a pic of this boat finished up, especially since we can see any of the pics anymore

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
So.... is carpcommander around anymore? I kinda wanna see a pic of this boat finished up, especially since we can see any of the pics anymore
His profile says he hasnt been on since august. I saw him post on facebook the other day tho

461 - 480 of 482 Posts